Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained in Shotokan Karate. Never really had to use it, in my line of work we use a dedicated form of control and restraint. I have come close to using karate on the street once. Some drunken idiots were trying to get myself and some friends to fight them in a park many many years ago. One of my mates was disabled, they knocked him to the ground while my other mates ran off. I got in between them, adopted a guard stance, raised my hands and stood there looking at them. They said something about not wanting trouble before promptly turning and running. What would I have done if they hadn't run off? I don't know, 2 of them, 1 of me but by showing my confidence, I had dealt with it without having to through a punch.

ShotokanGage
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muttley wrote:
Trained in Shotokan Karate. Never really had to use it, in my line of work we use a dedicated form of control and restraint. I have come close to using karate on the street once. Some drunken idiots were trying to get myself and some friends to fight them in a park many many years ago. One of my mates was disabled, they knocked him to the ground while my other mates ran off. I got in between them, adopted a guard stance, raised my hands and stood there looking at them. They said something about not wanting trouble before promptly turning and running. What would I have done if they hadn't run off? I don't know, 2 of them, 1 of me but by showing my confidence, I had dealt with it without having to through a punch.

Sounds like you have more cajones than all your friends combined!

JGarner890
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tang Soo Do, Boxing, Muy Thai, Wrestling, BJJ.

Never had to use my MA is a "street fight". Only in MMA.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly Shotokan.

You all think defence is against a street fight?

I used to really enjoy Karate early on as I had severe stress and depression, it was the only time I could stop my mind from thinking about bad stuff and to concentrate on Karate only, it was like a mind holiday each lesson.
My work was bad but I was very unhappy, it was only with a stronger mind I was able to resolve this by getting out of the rut and moving jobs.
I used to also drink too much and credit my new stronger mind in controlling this problem.
Combinations of the above have meant some unhappy times at home and with my family, both my children took up Karate with me and we grew a much better relationship, I was also happier in general.

So without Karate (or any type of MA) I could have quite easily have been depressed, unemployed, single, drunk and struggling to pull it together to see my kids once a month.

It has helped me to defend myself.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyokushin, Judo & Ju-Jitsu

Yes is the short answer.

3 times in defense of me.
Oddly all where walking home after training, the Dojo was next to a bar so some might say it was to be expected!
No serious injury to anyone, all left sitting against a wall ....

1 time in defense of a young lady! ... the wife of the guy I was ...um...talking to!

It constitutes the only time where the other party was given a warning and at that point I allowed myself to move onto one single intention!

All other occasions including the 3 times I had to take more direct action were all entered into with the desire to talk down the other person, to deescalate the situation.

In all cases no pride was taken, no happiness was ever taken in the outcome or activity.
I only ever felt relief it was over, no more than that!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Siu Lum) Kung Fu

Not including situations alleviated via deescalation, yes, I've used it many times to save my life or the life of a loved one. Most of these, I was able to end the situation without causing bodily damage to the assailant(s).

The "worst" situation I was in involved two guys with one wielding a knife. I didn't get away unscathed (I have scars to prove it), but I got away with my life and made sure those two guys will remember me for the rest of their lives.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Tang Soo Do. I also do some Tae Kwon Do.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do goju ryu karate and bjj. I've used both in different situations before. once when I was already on the ground at the beach and was able to use my bjj training to defend myself. And my karate 4 times before and all times was lucky that I wasn't injured.

Every time I was able to restrain the person effectively and strike hard enough to stop their attempts of harming me but not hard enough to injure seriously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: