Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya there,

I have a question on contact sparring and non contact sparring. I think contact sparring is where you actually hit the opponent. so i'm thinking non contact would be where you try to hit the opponent, but you don't actually touch them. But if you don't actually hit them, and they don't hit you, does it really help you for self defense? i would think if you get used to not actually hitting your opponent, during a fight you might purposely miss them or something. plus if someone hits you for the first time during a fight, wouldn't you flinch and stuff?

Also, another question here. At your school dojo dojang whatever, about when do you start to sparr? I don't mean what belt, since a lot of schools have a dif belt system, but how long do you have to go there to start sparring?

thank you
cya
hiya

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In non-contact sparring the only thing missing is the follow through. You still aim behind the target, but you stop short. Non-contact sparring definately helps you to learn how to react in a real situation, but in my opinion, nothing can prepare you for the real thing like contact sparring. Non-contact sparring lacks pain and the forces which change your balance (stop hits, actual leg sweeps) that ultimately dictate the outcome of any confrontation. However, I can tell you that when I was a young teenager I practiced nothing but non-contact sparring on people, but I trained full contact on heavy bags, etc. and when I had a 250+ ex- marine charging at me I knocked him clean out with a single kick to the head. (no, I didn't flinch) So in answer to your question yes non-contact sparring does help in a live situation but if you plan on fighting full contact, train full contact.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We start off out about 6 months. We start newbees with no contact to get them to develop the ability to use cominations, keep their guard up, move in circles, etc. Also, no contact rules usually turn into light contact by accident.

We then step it up to light contact after they have their basics, which inevitably turns into medium contact in the heat of the moment. We don't wear chest bads, so we try and stay away from full contact. However, the same as Ti-Kwon-Leap, we train on heavy bags for the full contact delivery of the technique.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I see thanks everyone for clearing that out.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We start off out about 6 months. We start newbees with no contact to get them to develop the ability to use cominations, keep their guard up, move in circles, etc. Also, no contact rules usually turn into light contact by accident.

Is that typical of most Kuk Sool schools? Our dojang is in tournament training right now, and there are yellow belts sparring who have been there I think two or three months. Of course, KJN is very very careful about the whole matter, and he goes through what everyone should be doing before they spar.

Basically, the lower belts do light contact sparring, and the upper belts I think do more full contact. But for the tournament they're going to this weekend, if you do full contact to the head, you're likely to get disqualified. With the torso, a lot (not anything!) goes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, if the student is brand new to KSW, it will take them 4-6 months to get a yellow belt. Yellow belt is the "standard" for starting sparring in KSW.

The variation in this type of policy varies in direct proportion to the distance that school is from the Grandmaster's headquarters.

For example, the tourneyments that used to go on at West Point, when there was a school there under Master Sims, allowed take-downs and went a full 3 minutes without stopping (recording points for each clean technique landed or takedown). I loved those rules. I don't personnaly like the "point-stop" sparring.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-6 months training how often? There just isn't all that much to learn for the yellow belt (as far as I can see), and while obviously there is always room for perfecting one's techniques and forms...how far can you go with it before it's becoming stagnant?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, the number of techniques is not staggering. And, while the form is one of the longer ones before black, it's not a super difficult one either.

However, if you visit some of the schools in the Houston area, where I started, you'll see that they follow many of the rules by the letter. One is that, for the most part, students aren't allowed to test any more frequently than every 3 months. And, they are expected to have most of the Korean terminology for what they know so far, all the falling, the 18 basic strikes, all the basic kicks, and all the proper etiquet down by your yellow belt.

Also, with the average student going twice a week, one day is usually forms and falling (sparring once they're yellow) and the other day techniques and assorted other training, they normally only pick up a couple new techniques a week. That equates to over two and a half months IF they never missed a class AND they picked it up AND retained it right away.

Suffice to say, if you're in a smaller class atmosphere, esspecially considering you have a master there, consider yourself fortunate to be getting the material at a little of an accelerated pace. If you ever have to move, be prepared to demonstrate your Patience & Perseverance.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six basic types of sparring are:
Class sparring where you try new techniques and work with your partner to develop your sparring skills.
Test sparring where you work with your partner to highlight each others sparring skills for the testing judges. For the best results a variety of techniques need to be demonstrated in a fluid, controlled manner. Partners should work at a balance of steady attack and counter attack.
Point sparring where you try to "outplay" your opponent and score more points than he or she. Little to no contact is allowed.
Semi-contact sparring is a type of tournament sparring where light contact is required to earn a point.
Full-contact sparring where competitors try to knockout their opponents or have their opponents submit.
Self-defense sparring where you practice realistic street techniques with your partner. It helps students develop their action/reaction skills. Students develop defenses and counter attacks to holds, takedowns, hand and foot strikes, and weapons.
At our school ... beginning at gold belt rank you are required to spar ... previous to this (at white belt rank) One step sparring is practiced. Students work with a partner to practice blocks and attacks in a more realistic manner. It teaches students ways to defend themselves against a variety of attacks or attackers and builds confidence with techniques.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, with the average student going twice a week, one day is usually forms and falling (sparring once they're yellow) and the other day techniques and assorted other training, they normally only pick up a couple new techniques a week. That equates to over two and a half months IF they never missed a class AND they picked it up AND retained it right away.

Understood. We train four days a week, so I'm able to pick things up more quickly. This is the end of my second week, and I have five of the six parts to Ki Chyo Yung. Granted, parts four and five need refinement--I'm not ready to test for my yellow stripe--but I've found that by applying myself, practicing forms at home, and never missing class, I'm learning a lot quickly and getting the chance to refine it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: