Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Questions to be a grappler? Reply with quote

Wondered if grapplers need to be flexible to be good at it?

Do grapplers have stretching routines before and after class?

Is grappling conducive to a healthy lifestyle or is there a high risk of danger to injuring ligament, joints and muscles?

In other words, do grapplers suffer more than other types of martial artists due to the large amount of resistance and strain put on the body?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they suffer more injury/damage. Just different. Certainly forcing joints can lead to injury, but they are not getting struck in the head like a boxer.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions to be a grappler? Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Is grappling conducive to a healthy lifestyle or is there a high risk of danger to injuring ligament, joints and muscles?

In other words, do grapplers suffer more than other types of martial artists due to the large amount of resistance and strain put on the body?

Flexibility is an attribute like any other. Some grapplers have it in spades and this drives their game a certain direction. Others lack it a bit, their game is different as well. Need? No. Jiu jitsu, and grappling as a whole, is pretty adaptable and will work differently for those with different attributes.

Healthy lifestyle? Totally. As long as one trains smart, and is coached properly, the risk is less than many combat sports. Now, if one overlooks good instruction and refuses to tap then injury is likely, as it is in about any endeavor.

Not more or less than any other athletic endeavor. All athletes run a great risk of wear and tear. It's the cost of it. But not more.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert in grappling, but my brother was a wrestler in high school (and college, before he discovered alcohol.) His sheer muscle-mass worked against him, but he did stretch. I suspect it's pretty important for, if nothing else, preventing injury.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Questions to be a grappler? Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

No. But it helps. You don't have to be strong, but it helps. You don't have to be fast, but it helps. Whatever you have, physically, will help.
Alan Armstrong wrote:

If they are smart about it, yes.
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Depends on how much you do and how hard you push. Grappling is a tough sport and if you compete at this highest levels, national and international competition, it will wear on you. That said, my CI and his number 1 assistant are in their 70's and still on the mat. And they still have a good quality of life OFF the mat as well.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Yes, but not in the way people think. It's more like, because what you are doing is more physically demanding than most sports or MA, then you will have more muscle wear, more ligament, joint and tendon wear and so forth. Thing is most of that heals, and the muscle wear, when it heals, makes you stronger and faster.
Overall, if you want something you can do till you are 80 and still be somewhat effective, start grappling young and do so often and don't stop.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions to be a grappler? Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:

Overall, if you want something you can do till you are 80 and still be somewhat effective, start grappling young and do so often and don't stop.

What if you're not young? I've been giving a lot of thought to trying this out but have a few ailments that might pose an issue. I have had surgery for a torn ACL that has not healed to 100% yet, Cubital tunnel syndrome (right arm), and a worn out rotator cuff 9told I'll need surgery - left shoulder). These obviously do not stop me from training or fighting but the ground game is a whole different arena in that your arms and legs are actively manipulated and a lot of stress is put on them during training.

Is this something you would take up in your 50's or 60's? What about with a few aliments?

I'm not unaccustomed to pain nor do I make it a habit of turning away from a challenge but the older I get the longer it takes me to recuperate. I'd hate to join today and need surgery in a month (trying to hold off as long as possible so I don't have a lengthy down time from training). So this is definitely a concern I have. What's you thoughts/advice?

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Questions to be a grappler? Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Tempest wrote:

What if you're not young? I've been giving a lot of thought to trying this out but have a few ailments that might pose an issue. I have had surgery for a torn ACL that has not healed to 100% yet, Cubital tunnel syndrome (right arm), and a worn out rotator cuff 9told I'll need surgery - left shoulder). These obviously do not stop me from training or fighting but the ground game is a whole different arena in that your arms and legs are actively manipulated and a lot of stress is put on them during training.

Is this something you would take up in your 50's or 60's? What about with a few aliments?

I'm not unaccustomed to pain nor do I make it a habit of turning away from a challenge but the older I get the longer it takes me to recuperate. I'd hate to join today and need surgery in a month (trying to hold off as long as possible so I don't have a lengthy down time from training). So this is definitely a concern I have. What's you thoughts/advice?

So I will tell you the same thing I mentioned to Bob. The days when you could train to win a world title at brown or black belt senior divisions are behind you. That is the realm of professional athletes in their 20's and 30's. That said, if you want to get on the mat, there is no reason you cannot, BUT you must be sane when you train.

Here are some REALLY great resources for older people starting grappling:

https://www.grapplearts.com/older-grappler-training/

https://www.grapplearts.com/the-aging-grappler/

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: