Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just caught up with this thread. Really good stuff.

tallgeese wrote:
Jay, here is a brief vid we cut the other day while training in regard to the idea of positional dominance. It's a brief look at how I think in regard to the concept, from up top to the ground. I hope its helpful for the discussion. Since most of my real-world experience in interpersonal conflict is in law enforcement, I mention some of how it effects my perspective, again, I hope it's helpful for the discussion.

bushido man, Kuma, Callvin, if you have input as to the LE aspect please feel free to input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQyqt4DKhRo

Fantastic video, tallgeese, and really clears some things up for me. When I have done a few of the grappling classes from our LEC instructor, the things he messed with the most was getting to a better position, and getting up or into position to "confirm" the arrest, for lack of a better term at the moment.

Thanks for putting that up. Something to also consider, from an LEO perspective, is that if the guy has buddies showing up, the force levels can go up for us, especially if we are outnumbered.

On a side note, I mentioned to our under-Sheriff when he asked what I wanted to specialize in, was Defensive Tactics. I am going to do some looking for this kind of training and see if I can start convincing the powers that be that we need this stuff. Because we do.

I need to show this to my DT partner, too, because he has a really anti-grappling attitude to DT training. And I don't blame him, but knowledge is power. I think he will appreciate this kind of positional approach to training it.

One thing I have seen needing addressed, and you addressed it at about 1:04, was not getting into a tug-of-war with a suspect needing to be controlled. I like how you demonstrated going into the body lock, since you are being pulled that way anyways. You can add your momentum going forward to them pulling away...very valuable.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bushido man. I hope it helps in your cause. I think grappling is actually one of the most important skills cops can cultivate. If it's done right. We put hands on people EVERY time we make an arrest. We create a grappling situation. Almost every time we encounter resistance, we put the suspect on the ground to control them. We therefore escalate the ground fight, yet some trainers want to ignore it altogether. Go figure.

I'd like to teach a clinch heavy grappling course for LE, like an 8 hour block, to cover this sort of thing. The tug of war over cuffs is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. I try to drill this out of my guys on shift when we get to conduct training during down time. So far, it seems to be working well.

Let me know how things go with your admin. Of course, if I can send you any resources I have I'll happily share.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Haven't been on in a while but I can say that I can definitely see where your coming from now. It was very interesting to see the perspective from law enforcement. In the UK police don't carry them but you guys do have to consider protecting your weapon as well. I can now see how you utilize the clinch and body locking to neutralize your opponents attack. From that position you are in control.

Thanks for the very interesting video, its always good to learn new things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: