Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traymond wrote:
Bushido,

do you respect teachers in general?

I do...and most martial artists that teach do...and im sure you do as well.

We hold a high regard to teachers no matter what style they are because they earned it and they are our superior. Alot of people dont do that...if you look at the 50's and his decade it is totally differant the respect is gone...and I like to think that when parent's put their kids into martial arts it is helping them a bit.

and Either way whether their is verbal or physical conflict and if their isn't any all...still nothing good happens...nothing is accomplished. But I would prefer to make them know their mistakes if the outcome is the same no matter what.

Thats just my opinion on how things unfolded to me...but im just one so it is not meant to be taken to heart.

Well, I look at respect a bit differently than most would, I guess. I am not one to just respect someone because of some preconceived notion of stature or rank. See 9th dan, show respect....I'm not quite like that. Although I won't be disrespectful to them, I am going to have to know a bit more about someone before I offer some kind of blind respect to them. Now, this doesn't mean that I would treat them poorly, or say "sorry, I don't respect you yet..." or anything like that. I like to think that I am a generally nice person, and treat people as such when I encounter them. But, there is a difference in being nice to someone, and respecting them.

I am a big proponent of earning respect, not demanding or expecting it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These repsonses are from the found...one hit, one kill thread, and it was brought to my attention that the subject in these posts might be worth its own thread, so I have started the topic here.

Thanks for reading.

JohnC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion there is a difference between "respect" which means "to treat with special consideration, to hold in high regard" and "courtesy" which means "kind and thoughtful behavior toward another, politeness". In a civilized society courtesy should be freely given and expected. As you say, B96, respect, on the other hand, must be earned. To demand respect is a non sequitur by definition, even if 'most' seem to do it now-a-days.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I'll be nice to just about anyone I step on the floor with, and most people I don't. But that dosn't equal respect for them. As others have pointed out, it's earned.

Rank dosn't matter in this case. I've met high dan grades that I had no respect for their skill or teaching methods, any kyu ranks that I had a very high regard for. And still, I try to be nice to both.

Additionally, I've from time to time, met individuals for whom I had a huge amount of respct for in regard to their skill level and very little respect for them in any other aspect. Again, I'm not one to equate ma's with self development, so I feel it's very posible to be a great fighter and not so much on the good person front.

So do I respect teachers- maybe. It depends on their abilitys and more importatnly, what they think of their own abilities that earns this from me.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
In my opinion there is a difference between "respect" which means "to treat with special consideration, to hold in high regard" and "courtesy" which means "kind and thoughtful behavior toward another, politeness". In a civilized society courtesy should be freely given and expected. As you say, B96, respect, on the other hand, must be earned. To demand respect is a non sequitur by definition, even if 'most' seem to do it now-a-days.

Exactly. That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

Truestar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to people running Martial Arts schools I'd say I respect teachers, not businessmen.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel honored to have one of my posts set as sort of a base for this thread.

Now what I meant as respecting teachers is not truly respecting the Man, I have had many teachers that I did not truly respect outside of the training hall. But I respected the martial artist for having done something that I have not done yet, whether it be that they have a higher rank or that they are running a school where they are taking money for it. Which I do not do.

I respect all martial artists no matter what style or what differance in philosophy or martial arts training we have. I respect all martial artists for I believe we are all linked through martial arts no matter what.

It takes certain people to be martial artists, it cannot be just any one that is a martial artists, which is why I show them all respect for we all go through the same training ( I say this in retrospect ).

I am not sure about other people but I follow in Japanese tradition where the martial arts teacher has the highest regard in my mind.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can respect what someone has done or accomplished. That is different than respecting the person.

As far as holding a Martial Arts teacher in the highest regard; not so much. A Martial Arts teacher is a person with a skill. There are lots of people around the world with lots of different skills; doctors, school teachers, scientists, etc. We all have our own skills, and apply them accordingly. I really don't think that I have any major talents, but I do have a drive to work hard, even if I am not good at something. That is a skill, too.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have respect for most martial arts teachers. There are some that I have no respect for because they teach things that are contradictory to what martial arts are supposed to be. But I have even more respect for people who are not only ultra powerful and ultra skilled, but can teach it and leave a real good impression on their students as well.

Erin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Yamashita Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited to meet more martial artists, but that doesn't mean I automatically respect them. Now, if I am at a tournament with my Sensei and he shows respect for a very high dan rank or someone he's trained with, I will automatically show my respect in that case, because I know my Sensei and so forth.
Something that grates me as a kyu belt, I at times feel like dan ranks look at me and feel "you're just a kyu" without seeing what I can do, or what I can be taught, especially given my disability. Dont' automatically DISRESPECT me either. Does that make sense?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: