Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

luca61
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Seido

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamahlthedruid wrote:
My instructor said that non contact fighting is advance systema and he has no idea how it works.

Maybe he doesn't know how it works because is just a myth, like KI power, ko pressure points, and so on. I thought that in 2011 this nonsense had already stopped.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luca61 wrote:
kamahlthedruid wrote:
My instructor said that non contact fighting is advance systema and he has no idea how it works.

Maybe he doesn't know how it works because is just a myth, like KI power, ko pressure points, and so on. I thought that in 2011 this nonsense had already stopped.

Agreed. I have had the pleasure of being able to work with a certified kyusho-Jutsu instructor under George Dillman. He is incredibly adept at focusing of pressure points while fighting and grappling. I agree that these skills are incredibly useful in self defense. However, the part of Dillman's system in which people are being "taught" to knock people unconsious with there Ki, to me in preposterous. Maybe i will believe it if someone could knock me out with it, but until then i will remain a skeptic.

I will however have to disagree with you about the existence of KO pressure points. There are structurally weak areas of the body which if struck in succession will immobalize and attacker, maybe not knock them unconcsious, but immobalize them. For example, watch some mma fights that end in a knockout. With most of them you will see strikes to two specific points, Stomach 5(on the jaw strait down from the corner of the mouth) or Gall Bladder 20(the knot of the skull about an inch behind the ear.)

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, I'd stick to one art (Systema) or quit Systema and just wait until the art you want turns up.

Have you heard to story about the dog that chased 2 rabbits, he got to tired and didn't catch either.

In other words, stop swapping and changing and be patient with the one. I would love to know why you keep changing like this is it your age or what

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on switching styles because I shall train under two systema masters.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is still 'switching'. A lot of teachers ge very irritated by it because they don't do things exactly the same way for reasons that are very hard to explain to a new student, and have lots of trouble with students who think they know all because 'Well master Soanso said I should do it THIS way!' If they didn't set it up, it's a snake pit.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systema is unique because there is no right or wrong self defense move unless you do not adhere to the systems principles. There are no systema students that fight the same way.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonetheless, they'll still get irked if you start contradicting them. And they will both have a different interpretation. remember, "no right or wrong" doesn't mean "I can do whatever I want", it means "I need to internalize these principles", and they still can be irritated if there is some faint disagreement between teachers. If both teachers think it's a great idea then hey. But usually that sort of thing results in some exceedingly annoying student behaviour that does not help their learning or my patience one bit.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The master I am currently training with didn't mind when I asked him about training in two different places; however, I don't have much money because I am just a student. I will train with one instructor until I finish school and get a job. I will pick the instructor that is most convenient for me and my school schedule.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero makes good points. Slow down, and don't overwhelm yourself with a sense of training with one guy who might be greater than another due to reputation. It seems you are easily swayed by the grass appearing greener on the other side of the fence. Now, you should discipline yourself to follow one set of protocol, and stick with it for a time. This will benefit you more in the long run than trying to run between two different schools and teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: