Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

informer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think your "chi" is in the belt? hahahha that's funny....chi is in YOU not the thing that holds up your pants.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

informer wrote:
Do you think your "chi" is in the belt? hahahha that's funny....chi is in YOU not the thing that holds up your pants.

what? where did you get this? i re-read all of the prior posts and none of them contain the word chi.

informer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know scott but many people do think that your belt contains "energy" and for this reason they will NOT wash the obi.

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that probably refers more to sentimental energy than anything else. I don't see it as anything more than it is (just a belt), but if people really like it, there's nothing wrong with that. It's definitely less smellier than having a pair of lucky socks that you never wash...

I highly doubt people actually believe in their heart of hearts that washing the belt would make them any less capable than they are now. Or even mildly believe it, for that matter.

scottnshelly
KF VIP

Styles: My Style

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides here. For the record, i'm not trying to turn this into another 'wash-don't-wash debate'.

although i don't really think that there is anything special in my belt that the magical washing machine would take away from it, it is something sentimental to me. My Instructor gave it to me, i worked hard to earn it, i've worn it a lot and i have some really special memories with it. When my belt fades and tatters, i will be very proud. i can't say that i won't get a new one, or wash it if it stinks, but i'll always keep it.

when you see someone with an old, gray, frayed, tattered belt, i dont' think you owe them respect immediately, but they will usually earn you respect in a short amount of time. but in the end, it is just a piece of cloth that 'holds your pants up.'

Shorin Ryuu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryukyu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyNewton wrote:

To Shorin Ryu..yes I have attended some of sensei Perry's seminars. My instructor is Willie McIntosh. I actually fell off the "path" for about 2 years...college, playingrugby, etc. However, I have resumed my training as of 3 weeks ago with full force and am looking to test for Shodan in June.

Best of luck to you. I'll actually be visiting Hendersonville, NC from June 19th-June 24th. I'll pretty much be at Kyoshi Perry's dojo all day long during the Monday through Thursday period. I also plan on attending the August Camp as well. Maybe I'll see you there?

Skeptic 2004
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Looks in closet at "new" black belt (I've had it for 9 months now), notices that it is still stiff and starchy from lack of wear*

I can count the number of times I've worn my "new" belt on one hand; I moved right after my shodan test and my current instructor doesn't wear rank (long but interesting story on dojo politics and greed...). Since I started training with him (which would almost be the entire time that I've been in Hawai'i), I haven't either. I hope on the rare occasion that I do wear it again (i.e., when I'm visiting another dojo where wearing rank is the custom), that my training speaks for itself. I'm sure other people would feel the same in my position.

Just throwing out a different perspective on the subject...I think...

The Chibana Project:
http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handwash my belt once a season (i.e. 4 times/year). Hasn't added the wear yet.

For me sweat, blood and tears (?) that have got into my belt are dirt. I wash them away to keep my belt even relatively hygienic.

I also have replaced my belts with new ones when they've became ragged. It's all about looking sharp.

My karate? Well, I'd hate to see people judging it by my belt. I believe that performance tells everything. My black looks nice and just has a minor spot of white waiting to appear. If having a new looking black belt lessens the respect I get, I guess that I don't even want to get respect from that person.
Finland

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha

I used to think the same thing before I got my Shodan.

I guess some dont want to look like they just got a black belt and have it looking all shiny new.

You would never get away with telling a Shodan or higher in our school they are a disgrace! You would find yourself flat on the floor.

Karate is also about etiquette and respect. Judging another person over such a trivial issue is very disrespectful.

Our school demands clean gi's all the time, but there are no rules about a worn looking belt thankfully.

Let us get on with our training and worry about perfecting our technique rather than judging those who we are supposed to be in submission to

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnonymousOne wrote:
Let us get on with our training and worry about perfecting our technique rather than judging those who we are supposed to be in submission to

I do agree.

And well, I've seen a 9th dan dude with a brand spanking new black belt - and heard about very high grading dudes who replace their belts as soon as belts begin to show wear.

Then again, I've seen some who have a practically white belt - only having a thread or two of black at the embroidery area to remind that the anchor rope has once been a black belt.

Those belts have never added or lessened my respect towards those guys. They have their own idea about what looks good on them. I'd say that it's a personal style issue. One of the rare ones in karate.

It all still boils down to training and trying to be better every time.
Finland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: