Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sport Jujitsu competitions used to have a "self defense" section. You were paired with a competitor in your division and faced a number of random attacks. And I do mean random. The only indication of what was coming was a predetermined signal for a grab/hold and other than that, you didn't really know what was coming. It wasn't a full on, do or die attack, but it had enough on it that standing still or getting caught wouldn't have been pleasant. It was a fun section of the competition that I don't know if they are still doing or not. It's been a lot of years since I competed with them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Looks like the next European event in this will be in Loughborough, not too far from where I am.

If I understand it correctly you do it with a training partner? That would be my one criticism in that you can then practice with that person all 40 or so attacks and come up with a move for each rather than it being a completely random fight. Having trained with them you'll be able to pick up on what your partner is going to do really quickly compared to if you were with a unknown opponent. Your training partner can also put up varying levels of resistance or go with the technique to help you out.

I was feeling this way, as well. Its really a choreagraphy as opposed to anything else. But, I do think it would be kind of fun for competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: