Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: "Random Attacks" Competition Reply with quote

When discussing practical applications and training, I don't typically discuss karate competition, because the standard competitive formats for karate simply don't fit our idea of what karate is. That's why I was quite intrigued when this video came up in my Facebook feed today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200571820351079

When I watched it, I was skeptical of the "random attacks" claim, since the competitors seemed to be teammates, so I checked out the website. Apparently, there are 40 "approved" attacks that this organization uses, and the referee picks one at random for the attacker to execute, which the defender then needs to deal with (without knowing what attack was chosen). Reaction time and technique effectiveness seem to be the key criteria for judging. I, personally, think this seems like a fun/interesting competitive format. Even more importantly, though, it will promote the practice of effective, practical karate, because if people want to win (and, let's face it, people like winning) they will have to explore and drill practical self defense techniques. It certainly has its flaws, as all things do, but from the looks of it, I think it's much better than the competitive formats we currently have in karate. What do you all think?
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be a fun style of competition. But, as for the format, it looks like a one-step set-up, because the attacker only attacks once. From there, its a one-step by the defender.

It does look like it poses some interesting attack options, though, including weapons and ground defense, which is great, I think.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one's resisting. Just standing still. Hhhmmmm...

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it certainly has its flaws! It would be nice for it to be more realistic, with attackers that resist and don't stop after one attack, but I don't know how you would do that in a competitive format without having designated 3rd party attackers. I suppose that would be a viable option! Still, I think the rules could be worded in such a way that it promotes more realistic techniques over flashy ones. While I'm not personally a big fan of karate competition, I do think that this at least gives people who are something that they can work on that is closer to what karate actually is.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they could show them two-fold. Show as they are, but then, show same with resisting. It's a fine line; to do or not to do.

Being compliant is a means towards safety. Resisting is a means towards possible injury. Which one to do, and how to do it SAFELY is key, imho.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a link to the rules Wastelander? Looks kinda how we run our one-steps.

sensei8 wrote:
Being compliant is a means towards safety. Resisting is a means towards possible injury. Which one to do, and how to do it SAFELY is key, imho.

SPot on IMHO. It's like any kind of sparring or partner practice we do in training; there's a thin line between realistic and safe.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the website for the organization that runs the competition: http://ec-random-attacks.com/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
This is the website for the organization that runs the competition: http://ec-random-attacks.com/

Cool. I still think it would be really cool if they allowed overall resistance from both under the supervision of the referee so that the competition didn't turn into a ordinary free-style sparring tournament. I do understand the intent of it all because if my defense/counter-attack is faster than my opponents reaction time, then I don't need to be concerned with my opponents resisting anything. I'm all about pushing that envelope and asking..."What if?"

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the next European event in this will be in Loughborough, not too far from where I am.

If I understand it correctly you do it with a training partner? That would be my one criticism in that you can then practice with that person all 40 or so attacks and come up with a move for each rather than it being a completely random fight. Having trained with them you'll be able to pick up on what your partner is going to do really quickly compared to if you were with a unknown opponent. Your training partner can also put up varying levels of resistance or go with the technique to help you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: