Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fish
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the test for 6th dan? In our (wado ryu) school the shodan test involves a written exam, demonstration of any of the kihon, 5 combinations, 5 pair techniques devised by the candidate him or herself, demonstrate 3 out of 6 kata and then spar for 30 minutes continuously against mixed opponents (that's like 10 rounds without a break). Thankfully, I've got a few while before I have to do that.

(Shodan 11th Oct 0>img src="images/smiles/icon_cool.gif" alt="">

ladyj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must trust your instructor or you wouldn't be there. Would you take your car to a mechanic and then tell the mechanic that you do not feel like he knows what to look for. I understand where you are coming from because from day 1 of my 15 years in the martial arts I felt the same way. Mine came from being a perfectionist, and comparing myself to others. Now as an instructor I understand how students progress differently and what to look for in a student who is preparing to test. Part of our test is the pressure you are put under, because if you can't pull it together for a test what are you going to do in a street situation. Relax, train hard and talk with your instructor. Good Luck and never give up.

al karate1234
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ready for test? Reply with quote

faido wrote:
I know a sensei wouldn't invite a karate-ka to test if he didn't think the karate-ka was ready to test, but how do you, personally, know you are ready? My sensei has invited me to test and while on one hand I trust him in this matter, on the other I'm not sure I feel ready to test. I have a lingering injury that makes me slow and lack power. I think this is taken into account, but I'm just not sure if I feel ready. How do [/i]you know you are ready?
well if u dont fell up to it then just think about everyone else that to do the cater as well. plus ur sensa is very experienced so he will know

JimmyNewton
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Shorinkan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ready for test? Reply with quote

jion wrote:
faido wrote:
how do you, personally, know you are ready? [/i]

There's a really simple answer to this one.

It's just sport, twice or three times a week. If you're not hopelessy uncoordinated you'll pass. Good luck btw!

i dont really agree with " its a sport" once or twice a week.
I think living as a martial artist, regardless of style is a was living and a lifestyle to be practiced daily.

gensei
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shintani Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some very good responses to this, helpful to me as well. I am testing for my shodan in April, and have not had much chance in the last six months to train with either of my Sensei's - one lives by my parents where I live in the summer, and one here, where I go to university. I am at times, very unsure of myself...and rightfully so - as I have not had much external instruction in the recent past.
However, my Sensei HAS put my name before the Joseki Board, and HAS allowed it to stand, regardless of my lack of community-training.
As I still have some lingering doubts, I practice my katas and work-out at least once a day, and am thinking about techniques I'm struggling with whenever there's a break in lectures or waiting in line at the grocery store etc. I made myself a dumb little bracelet to remind me I'm in training - so I am reminded to think about my katas, and to be wise in food choice etc.
What I'm trying to say...in far too many words, is that there are innumerable ways to work on preparing yourself for a grading - whether it be for shodan or yellow belt. Trust your sensei, but trust yourself as well. If you don't feel ready, work on it. Everyone has time to think: if you have time for nothing else than before bed, go through your kata a couple of times in your mind - cement it in your brain and muscle memory.

If you feel you're not up to it, work on it. And remember, a yellow belt, brown belt, black belt or 4th degree bb don't mean you've mastered anything. They mean you're ready to start training on another level, and press yourself to even greater knowledge and technique.

That's my bit.

Good luck to all who grade in the near future,
Timothy.

blackwatch
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our dojo we dont test anyone until the are ready.I tell my students.to treat it like any normal class.Relax and dont sweat it.Some people just cant handle tests.Your instructor knows your capabilties,a good one should cut you a little slack.I have one student in his 30s never had good test,but is an execellent student and very competent in the art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: