Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

faido
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ready for test? Reply with quote

I know a sensei wouldn't invite a karate-ka to test if he didn't think the karate-ka was ready to test, but how do you, personally, know you are ready? My sensei has invited me to test and while on one hand I trust him in this matter, on the other I'm not sure I feel ready to test. I have a lingering injury that makes me slow and lack power. I think this is taken into account, but I'm just not sure if I feel ready. How do [/i]you know you are ready?

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this was my last situation in July. I was not ready to test (in my opinion). But everyone thought I was (including my instructor). So I went for it. I failed. I knew deep down inside that I wasn't ready. BUT I re-tested last weekend and I passed with flying colors. Go figure.

I can see if someone isn't ready or doesn't feel ready, like me. That's fine. But there is a point where you wait TOO long. That's not good either.

The best thing is, talk to your sensei. If you don't feel ready, talk to him and tell him why. He might be able to give you advice. Specially with your injury. Let him know what's going on.

Drgnslyer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Renshikan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate...well...second handedly.

Myself I've got my green belt, and after a few years off training thanks to a car accident i'm back...but my girlfriend has her black belt now, and has for a few years. When she was told that she would be testing for her belt, she was more than nervous, anxious, and felt she wasn't ready for it. She did however, trust our sensei, and others in the class, who all supported her. She ensured to work twice as hard as usual *which to start with was a pretty solid pace anyways*, and even the day before her test, she was still unsure.

It wasn't until she stepped out of her house on the day of the test that she realized that she was as ready as she woudl ever be, and as a result of that, she began to understand how well she'd prepared for the test.

Her confidence was boosted, and she spent a very good portion of the day in the test itself...and got her belt.

Sometimes other people see in us what we cannot see...with people like your sensei, have trust in their judgement....part of what they are there for is to show you what you are truly capable of...even if you don't initially believe it yourself.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drgnslyer wrote:

Sometimes other people see in us what we cannot see...with people like your sensei, have trust in their judgement....part of what they are there for is to show you what you are truly capable of...even if you don't initially believe it yourself.

Exactly....and sometimes it is hard to convince yourself of that.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jion
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ready for test? Reply with quote

faido wrote:
how do you, personally, know you are ready? [/i]

There's a really simple answer to this one.

It's just sport, twice or three times a week. If you're not hopelessy uncoordinated you'll pass. Good luck btw!

kotegashiNeo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: goju/ Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only time that you will know that you are ready, is after you have passed, then you are certain

shogeri
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Instructor in Internal, External, Mixed Styles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight is 20/20.

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

IronWarrior
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado Kai Karate Jujutsu 3rd Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Do it! Are you ready to defend yourself if you get attacked on the street? Injury or no Injury, it wont matter if that time ever comes.. Apply that attitude going into this grading do your best! regardless, no excuses e.t.c... Karate is about improving oneself, you will just learn alot more about yourself in the end.. Now just do it! Good Luck..

dhuff1500
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: American Open Style Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't feel you are ready, keep training and training and make sure you know everything until you feel confident that there is no way you can fail that test. If you have any doubts before you take the test-then you aren't prepared for it.

taoist
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about to go for 6th dan, I was nervous. It was a 90 minute examination. We had to choose 2 kata of our choice and after that SIX rounds of sparring. I passed, only just, but i was prepared well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: