Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MAVERICK
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY, this might seem abit of a strech but i just want to ask a(probably stupid)question. i just want to know if anyone ever played rival schools(the one with all the high schools fight eachother).well anyway theres this character named KYOSUKE(hes the one with glasses and orange hair) wel he fights with open hands techniques, no punching but his kick are strong and fast,iknow this might be alittle weird but is their really a fighting style like that? .u see i take muay thai and im trying to cross-train with somthing else,i know how pl say u should mix with a grappling style but i dont beleive most if any fights end up on the floor,and it will be a very cold day in hell if anyone could get close enoough to me in a fight to grapple me, well latez

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is not a silly question even though your forum topic revolves around a video game , hehe. I am fairly familiar with Rival Schools and I know who Kyosuke is. In fact, he is also a character in Capcom vs. SNK 2. He uses other hand techniques besides punching but also uses many different types of effective kicks. To answer your question, there are probably an abundance of kung fu styles which use a variety of hand techniques (i.e. eagle claws, monkey paws, palm strikes, etc.) which are supplemented with powerful effective kicking. I could not place his style right off the bat (considering that it IS a video game and his style is probably a mixture of many) but I guess as an example, my old Shaolin kung fu kwoon taught many open handed attacks and we used powerful kicks mainly to intercept and finish off the attacker. It's not too uncommon, I would think. BTW I prefer Hideo and the guy with the red coat and the sword, hehehe.

P.S. I would assume, even though I have no formal experience in either, that cross training Muay Thai with Brazilian Jujitsu would be a good idea since they both have proven (at least to my knowledge) to be fairly effective on the street when compared to many other arts. Muay Thai has very effective simple strikes and BJJ is known for its grappling and ground fighting It can't hurt to delve into other things, just in case you happen to end up on the floor in an alley or federal prison shower room.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-17 16:16, MAVERICK wrote:
i know how pl say u should mix with a grappling style but i dont beleive most if any fights end up on the floor,and it will be a very cold day in hell if anyone could get close enoough to me in a fight to grapple me

Hehe, I hope you're either kidding or have good health insurance. Good luck with that attitude, there are fighters out there who train and look forward to fighting someone with a battle plan like yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scenario: A massive Samoan dude comes up behind u, pushes u to the ground, gets on top of u and starts pounding ur brains out... what do u do? Oops, u don't do ground fighting, but somehow this guy got close to u and took u to the ground... Now how in the sam hill did that happen?

If u don't know how to do something, then learn it... simple!

Angus

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, couldn't I counter that by either staying away from Samoa, or carrying around a cheeseburger in my pocket?

Just kidding, you really DO need to have some type of training to counter a grappler, regardless of how probable the chance is that they will be able to get you to the ground.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very lucky to have judo and karate at the same dojo!!!

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fighting games rule!!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never ever let a person punch at me, so I won't even train to parry/block/evade them.

Sounds dumb, huh? It's almost as silly as:"and it will be a very cold day in hell if anyone could get close enoough to me in a fight to grapple me"

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-17 22:49, Angus wrote:
A scenario: A massive Samoan dude comes up behind u, pushes u to the ground, gets on top of u and starts pounding ur brains out... what do u do? Oops, u don't do ground fighting, but somehow this guy got close to u and took u to the ground... Now how in the sam hill did that happen?

Come on now, what is the chance of a massive Samoan dude attacking a normal civilian on the streets? Even better what is the chance of him attacking anyone, or you even spotting a dude like that? Do you not know there are actual laws, and punishments these days when it comes to fighting and attacking people? We don't live in old times anymore, when we need martial arts to survive. People mostly learn these arts for other reasons these days. Alot of martial arts teach awerness these days, so when a situation like that would become evident you can avoid it.

Also I would like to add, that the gun is the most effective and easiest form of self defense today (it's also the most popular). And, you can obtain a gun fairly easil these days. So when someone threatens you all you have to do is take out the gun, and most likely they'll run.

[ This Message was edited by: ChangWuJi on 2002-02-19 23:36 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: