Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Really Need Help with Tonfa Reply with quote

I've been really struggling with finding the right tonfa, mainly because I'm one of those people that fall in between sizes. 19 to 19 1/2 inch tonfa are way too unwieldy for me, but they cover my whole arm. However, 17 inch tonfa are much easier to use but leave my elbow exposed.

Shureido 19 1/4" tonfa against my arm:

Cheapo 17" tonfa against my arm:

I might need to have a pair of 18 inch tonfa custom made for me, but I'm unsure if that's a good idea.

Last edited by Struggling_Mudansha on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not cut you 19 1/2 down?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just cut the end off the 19.5" tonfa, and sand it smooth
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I completely forgot to mention that one of the biggest issues I'm having with the 19 1/4" tonfa is the handle length. It measures roughly 3 1/2" from where it's gripped and makes it difficult to control on horizontal swings. My hand measures around 3 1/4" across the knuckles so there's a little slippage when I loosen my grip.

One of my sensei's had a pair of purple heart tonfa measuring 3 1/4" on the handles with a total length of 17". They were the easiest tonfa I've ever used. But like before, my elbow was slightly exposed.

If I have a custom pair of tonfa made with 3 1/4" handles and a length of 18", I'm really worried that I might be throwing off the weapon's balance. I'm contemplating going in-between with 3 3/8" handles, but I'm concerned they'll be slightly too long.

I might be over thinking this and should just stick with 17" tonfa.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you? How much full contact sparring will you be doing with tonfa?

Because really, that's where the answer to your question is to be found. When you spar with the weapon, what actually works for you?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either cut a 1/4" piece out of the middle of the handle, drill a pin hole in each remaining half of the handle and epoxy it back together, or wrap something around that gap between your hand and the knob at the end of the handle.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
You can either cut a 1/4" piece out of the middle of the handle, drill a pin hole in each remaining half of the handle and epoxy it back together, or wrap something around that gap between your hand and the knob at the end of the handle.

I could do that, but I don't confidence that I'd be able to succeed in that endevour. (plus, I don't want to mess up the Shureido. They make weapons a work of art)

Tempest wrote:

Because really, that's where the answer to your question is to be found. When you spar with the weapon, what actually works for you?

Almost all the stuff we practice with kobudo is kata. There is a bo/tonfa kumite kata among the yudansha ranks, but that wound't be until years down the road.

I don't believe we practice contact sparring using weapons within the dojo. At least, not to my knowledge.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:

Quote:
Almost all the stuff we practice with kobudo is kata. There is a bo/tonfa kumite kata among the yudansha ranks, but that wound't be until years down the road.

I don't believe we practice contact sparring using weapons within the dojo. At least, not to my knowledge.

Then, with all do respect, why does it matter whether it looks like you will have an opening around the elbow or not?

I can assure you, as someone who DOES do contact sparring with weapons, that the opening you describe, that one inch around the elbow, will only matter against someone else dueling you with weapons.

In a Kata, self-defense aspect, go with what feels comfortable in the hand and you are comfortable carrying. I say get the 17s.

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Need Help with Tonfa Reply with quote

Struggling_Mudansha wrote:
I've been really struggling with finding the right tonfa, mainly because I'm one of those people that fall in between sizes. 19 to 19 1/2 inch tonfa are way too unwieldy for me, but they cover my whole arm. However, 17 inch tonfa are much easier to use but leave my elbow exposed.

Shureido 19 1/4" tonfa against my arm:

Cheapo 17" tonfa against my arm:

I might need to have a pair of 18 inch tonfa custom made for me, but I'm unsure if that's a good idea.

If you have tools and the ability you can just make them to fit you. I had a store bought pair but never liked the feel so the subsequent three pair I have owned, I made myself. You can customize the size, type (square, round, paddle, etc.) and what it is made from (oak, walnut, iron wood, osage orange, etc) and it is very easy if you have access to the right tools.
Even if you do not have access to a lathe you can make a round tonfua with an oak hand rail. They are roughly 1-1/2 to 1-3/4" so they would work. Or just by square or rectangular blanks of wood close to the length you want and cut them down. You can shape your handle with a drill and sanding disk, again if you do not have a lathe. Where there is a will there is a way.

If not, like others have said, cut the ones you have down to the proper size. For the handle, it depends on how it is attached. If it is fitted and has a peg or pin you can remove and just file/sand it a little higher, cut off excess and re-attach. If it is glued in place then as others have described, cut it in half and drill each half to fit a peg and glue together.

I'm sure if you look hard enough someone else has had this problem and most likely posted a vid of how to correct it. Good luck.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many police and security agencies use Tonfa in many countries.

Maybe a modern version is acceptable by your sensei.

After all, if you did need a Tofa for work related purposes, showing up with a wooden Tonfa would look a tad out of place.

Makes sense to use a modern Tonfa version or does tradition rule over all?

The traditional Tonfa was a farming tool whereas the contemporary Tonfa version is used as a highly functional offensive and defensive weapon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: