Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Recent Grading Reply with quote

Hey all,

At our most recent grading, at the first of July, four people were testing for their Shodan. Two were adults, the other two were kids. It began like they typically do with lining up in front of the examiner's table and doing basics. But that's where the test kind of deviated from the norm. In all the years I've watched gradings I've never seen one like this. Two of the testers just didn't try. There was no effort, no kime. It was rather like watching someone who just didn't care.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this for a black belt grading?
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent Grading Reply with quote

cathal wrote:
Hey all,

At our most recent grading, at the first of July, four people were testing for their Shodan. Two were adults, the other two were kids. It began like they typically do with lining up in front of the examiner's table and doing basics. But that's where the test kind of deviated from the norm. In all the years I've watched gradings I've never seen one like this. Two of the testers just didn't try. There was no effort, no kime. It was rather like watching someone who just didn't care.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this for a black belt grading?

Yep. I've seen it, usually from people that just assume that they have it "in the bag" and only need to show up for the testing. When I've been on judging panels, I usually no change students that do that. It's really a shame when it comes from someone that *should* be putting out their best effort for a milestone achievement in their life.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was rather embarassing to be honest, because the head examiner kept ordering them to "get into it". In the end he made them all do push-ups until they collapsed...to see how much drive they had to pass.

We learned that the two adults passed. No word on the others, which perhaps means they failed.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cathal wrote:
It was rather embarassing to be honest, because the head examiner kept ordering them to "get into it". In the end he made them all do push-ups until they collapsed...to see how much drive they had to pass.

We learned that the two adults passed. No word on the others, which perhaps means they failed.

Which is probably as it should be. No McDojo there!

I see that quite a bit in class as well. I have to ride some of the kids now and then, to get them to do what I know they can do.

It is frustrating to see, but it makes me feel good that I know that I am giving it all I have, even if it only 50% of what some natural athlete is doing when he is slacking off. That is the epitome of integrity.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they felt that it was a given. Maybe they felt that showing up to the test was enough. Maybe they thought it took 3 years to get to black belt and they put in three years so...they were there to get the black belt?

KarateK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had something like that, we have 4 clubs, one of which is not taken by our main sensei. They joined us from another organisation and just train under our name. However all the black belts grade together. On this occasion two of our students were taking Shodan, as were two of theirs. Our 2 completely outshone them, they are fantastic anyway but up against the other 2 they were in a different league. Its a shame as they let themselves down and their instructors.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fairly uncommon, but by giving these students the assesment they deserve (probably a fail) it will certainly keep them on their toes for the next time.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Recent Grading Reply with quote

Just a side note:

We have a testing this week Thursday. Just yesterday at class, the instructor was letting some of the kids know that they may have to wait another cycle, because they don't look ready.

Shotokan-kez
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that in a lot of our classes and gradings. Unfortunatly there isnt a lot of adults in our dojo so a lot of the kids show hardly any passion or spirit, it angers me when they are given their belts when really they didnt deserve it.

KarateK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found ourselves losing members due to the students assuming that in four months they would grade - without actually putting in the time and effort. Sadly they were mistaken and as such do not grade, eventually this weeds out the less committed students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: