Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Recorded testing or training Reply with quote

Does your dojo/instructor record training or tests on video? Have you ever used video recording of your own training? It can be quite useful to help spot and fix mistakes and bad habits that would otherwise be difficult to see. Being able to see yourself in action and having it readily available to study can be very beneficial for focusing improvement.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the dojo?? YES!! At home, NO!!

I've been video taping tests and classes at my dojo ever since that technology has been around. A very valuable tool to all concerned, like mirrors. Can't do without it!! Same at our Hombu, even though it was like pulling teeth out of a Bengal Tiger because both Soke and Dai-Soke were so very much old school, but in time, they warmed up to it, and I do mean slowly. Once they did, they acted as though it was their great idea, and theirs alone.

Never did it at home for no specific reason, just never did it.

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to be able to go back and take an in-depth look at one’s past test. It is a unique reference and perspective because there are certain mistakes that are difficult to spot. Especially the ones that people do not fully realize until they see themselves doing them.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife recorded me during my last testing. It was quite helpful!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video is an invaluable tool. Mirrors in the dojo don’t show nearly as much as video does. Watching yourself on video is one of the most effective ways of seeing your own flaws. My previous sensei used to video the students who were competing during appropriate class sessions. All the corrections, and then some, could easily and indisputably be seen by the student.

I’ve used video at home while hitting the bag. If I get the angle right, it shows me what I need to see. It’s helped me correct quite a few things, small and large - I was dropping my hand below my waist while throwing hooks, my eyes would always shut on impact, I was leaning too far forward, etc. Video made those things obvious to me, and I drill while consciously trying to correct them.

Video has s downside too. With modern technology, people start posting stuff they shouldn’t. I’m not talking about outright and intentionally malicious stuff, but stuff that takes away from what’s going on. Our organization has had issues in the past with people videoing themselves and posting it. Dan and kyu testing isn’t something that our heads want out there. They’ve got nothing to hide, but it takes away from the testing aspect. Part of it is not knowing what to expect and rising to the occasion. If it’s all there for everyone and anyone to see, that goes by the wayside. It’s not really much different from an academic student knowing what’s going to be on their test in a sense.

Our Kaicho made videos for students and teachers to use as a reference. He regretted it. There were instances of students learning from them rather than using them as reference. For instance, a student would promote today, then tomorrow somehow know the next kata that was supposed to be taught for the new rank. Then students started correcting him during class. They’d take something out of context and say “but the video shows it this way.” Reportedly, the final straw came when a student told our Kaicho “the guy in the video said it’s done like this” during dan testing. I’m not sure if it was Kaicho or someone else who asked that student “do you know who ‘the guy in the video’ actually is?” That was pretty much near when they ran out of videos for sale, so they didn’t have any more copies made.

Then there’s people making videos, doing things incorrectly or worse, and posting them on social media. Kind of hard to protect your organization’s credibility and reputation and control your “brand image” when it’s a free-for-all.

No one that I know of has been formally reprimanded for posting stuff, but there have been many who’ve been asked to remove stuff. As far as I know, most of it was just innocent stuff that wasn’t any catastrophe. It’s been along the lines of ‘we’d appreciate it if you removed it for these reasons.’ The organization isn’t some tyrannical organization that doesn’t allow anything; there’s appropriate times and places for everything. They allow people to take and post pictures and video of stuff, and when people are doing so they ask them to be responsible with it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, we can video some of the testings. I've taken videos of my tournaments in the past to study things and get better. I've also filmed students doing forms before, and then had them watch the video with me, and point out exactly what I'm talking about when I tell them to fix this or that. It gives the a different point of reference, and helps them to see it better at times.

A very useful training tool.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post was more about video as a personal training tool or a private reference by instructors and for dojo members. Some instructors may have reservations about having the videos posted online or having just anyone video record a test or training session.

In personal experience, spectators are very rare. During regular training, nobody ever just watches except for the odd day when a dojo member’s family stops by. Even then they never stay very long and are expected to be absolutely quiet. Test are only open for those being tested and dojo members helping with the set-up.

As far posting anything online, the measure is basic common sense: always ask for permission and respect the instructor’s decision. The same applies to copying or sharing any other documents or information about the instructor, the dojo and members.

In fact many dojo have a specific rule for such cases: “dojo members shall not bring shame or disrepute to the dojo or instructor by any illegal activity, immoral behaviour or unethical actions”

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The original post was more about video as a personal training tool or a private reference by instructors and for dojo members. Some instructors may have reservations about having the videos posted online or having just anyone video record a test or training session.

In personal experience, spectators are very rare. During regular training, nobody ever just watches except for the odd day when a dojo member’s family stops by. Even then they never stay very long and are expected to be absolutely quiet. Test are only open for those being tested and dojo members helping with the set-up.

As far posting anything online, the measure is basic common sense: always ask for permission and respect the instructor’s decision. The same applies to copying or sharing any other documents or information about the instructor, the dojo and members.

In fact many dojo have a specific rule for such cases: “dojo members shall not bring shame or disrepute to the dojo or instructor by any illegal activity, immoral behaviour or unethical actions”
Agreed, those are all good guidelines to follow. I've got some videos of forms I've done on youtube, but I've got them marked as private, and use them for reference for myself, or to share here from time to time.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We film all Black Belt Gradings, moreso for all Dan Grades; as we allow 3rd + 2nd Kyus to attend as well.

For my own training, yes i do.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I film Yudansha testings and send to the Hombu as proof and as a kind of insurance and total disclosure. No improprieties.

I never video tape myself or any of my classes or Mudansha tests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: