Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I hate this stupid thing, can you please stop this forum from going back a page for no reason whilst typing a message, and then you press forwards and your message has gone... I just spent 15 minutes writing this post just had it finished and bham. ARGH!

OK, so anyway, I need help badly. I think my weight methods are incorrect, I think my routine could be improved, I generally need everything I'm about to write for the 2nd time improving.

First, my weekly routine. Every morning I try to jog/run for about 10 minutes to speed up my metabolism.

Monday - Taekwondo Skills
Tuesday - Upper Body
Wednesday - Taekwondo Skills
Thursday - Lower Body/Abs
Friday - Taekwondo Lesson
Weekend - rest

I'm sure this can be improved. I am aiming to be able to get more muscle on upper body and stomach, and burn fat off my stomach and lower body, but I will be going back to school in 2 or 3 weeks and will so need to take less time to do a good workout.

Next on my problems is some of the exercises for upper body I do. I do standing curls, but boy oh boy do I get the feeling I'm either doing them wrong or have too light dumbells. When I do curls, please tell me, where does my arm go? Does it rest on my front, or on my side, or does it stay in midair as I straighten and curl arm?

Heck, do I even need to do curls as part of an upper body workout?
Again, a routine of upper body exercises all explained for me, preferably not taking more than 40 minutes to complete would be great!

With stomach, I currently do Situps to the side to work the side abs, and then crunches for upper abs, followed by leg lifts for lower abs... however, this system can probably be reformed to be more effective, input required again.

My legs are kinda flabby at the moment, I am not so concerned about building them up as burning fat... will running/starjumps/leg thrusts suffice for this?

Something to kick/punch... a punchbag costs quite a lot, so is there anything around the house I might be able to use instead? I can't find anything yet myself.

Generally, I am aiming to build more muscle in my arms and chest, and suppose shoulders/upper back, as well as stomach, while burning fat from my legs and stomach. I am also after better endurance so I will not tire so much in my gradings.

Guys, reform my routine, point out my mistakes, help me get on the right path to improving myself!

Wouldn't mind advice Ken or Muay, or anybody who is experienced and think they can help me

Peace,
Jack

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack...
(I hear ya about losing your posting that is why I always type my postings on a word doc and then cut & paste to the message body on the posting board)

Exercise in the morning and you will reap the benefits of a faster metabolism throughout the day, or exercise in short 10 or 15-minute bursts every couple of hours tokeepmetabolism pumping. Exercise any time you can fit it into your day and you will burn that fat away. By exercising just a little more than usual you can speed up your metabolism and use up stored fat in the process.

You don't mention how much ab work you do. I love CRUNCHES and they work! I do about 600 crunches in varying styles each night. Not difficult really! Have some music with a good beat going and do those crunches to the beat! To work obliques (side ab muscles) bring both knees to side, elbows and hands behind head and lift to 1/2 counts. Bring knees into meet shoulder lifting off ground to add to difficulty.
I have a wavemaster at home (www.century.com) it cost about USD 100.00 but well worth it. I double hook from a horse stance to the body and then raise the hooks to the head (doubletime) back down and up..great for the arms and shoulders.
With the wavemaster you can also do power kicks, switch kicks to bring the heart rate up for a more cardiovascular workout.
Music is important!! Have it playing and loud! (doesn't give you time to think of just how tired you are!)
I used to lift but was just getting too bulked up (for a woman IMO) , I but know that you keep elbows at side tucked close when doing curls standing up.
I still say that push ups are the very best upper body workout...do triangles, knuckle, wide outs, shoulder widths and how about 2 finger ones. Yikes...you'll feel those!
Deby

If there is a righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in character,beauty in the character, there will be harmony in thehome. Harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.When there is order in the nation, there will be peace on earth.

This Message was edited by: KickChick on Aug 15, 2001 10:43am

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Deby, thats the great sorta input I need from everybody, and then after that mabye we can draw up a routine together to help meh

thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I definately think you'd be a good mod for this forum!! I totally agree about crunches and push-ups!! My two favorites! 600 crunches!!!???? You must be soooooo buff!!

Lori

-Unknown-

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have some loud Punk rock or metal playing when I work out, don't have it too loud if parent's around though, due to how they like to swear sometimes

Erm, aren't crunches ones you hold for 2 seconds before going down again? How can you do them to a pumping beat? Am I doing crunches wrong too fs? I definitely feel the burn when doing mine, so I'll carry on with them.

So, people, help me. I still need daily and weekly routines, and some explained methods of exercise... Help me out here ppl!

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, help me out here!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the "forum" problem you refering to is that you hit the backspace button after a mouseclick, which sent you to the previous page.

Nothing to do with us. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the info the ladies have given is very good and reliable..
it is very hard to derive a personal training schedule for someone that can't be seen and worked out with.
.as for the heavy bag, i have seen people go as far as to wrap an old mattress around a pole or tree in there yard to use for punching and kicking... you might try a pawn or thirft shop for a cheap bag, if you have those in your area......

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Aug 16, 2001 6:46am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori...
the 600 crunches is taking into consideration that I teach 2 classes back to back (which I have been doing due to vacation timing at the school) I do a minimum of 300 crunches per class.
Do you have a favorite crunch or push up that you personaly do? I am trying to incorporate some new "strenuous" stretching/conditioning drills for my students. I love to hear them moan when I say " I've got a new one for you guys....."

Deby

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

you might try a pawn or thirft shop for a chep bag, if you have those in your area......

Unfortunately, this is not a game of Shenmue (If any of you have played that, great game!)

I will do a look around for stuff like that though
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: