Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MMA

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Registering as a Lethal weapon Reply with quote

I hear about this, I have seen it, is it right? Is it true? I remember at my old Martial Arts School people from the "Gov't" would stop in and collect the names of students that recived a blackbelt and they would have to sign some paper stating they were a lethal weapon and could not fight anywhere outside of the ring, mat or sanctioned event (being tournys or practicing in a dojo) If you did fight it would have to be total self defense with reasonable use of force. Meaning some guy swings and you put him in an armbar you cant brek his arm but you can try to talk him out of fighting etc..... Anyone else have incounters as these?

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is apparently a myth . Check here at Legal Beagles.

http://www.tafkac.org/faq2k/legal_2007.html

There is also a theory I found on this website: http://www.eemaworld.com/herrmanthesis.htm

that says the myth may have started because black belts in Japan are registered so no-one can claim to be a black belt when they aren't.

Really makes you wonder exactly who was coming to your dojo and getting the black belts to sign these papers...a buddy of the dojo owner perhaps, as a way to emphasize that the skills shouldn't be taken lightly?

-Lao-Tse

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the owner of the dojo was asian and slightly older. but the main trainer was, or i was lead to believe, american. I remember seeing a tattoo behind his right ear and a tattoo on the inside of his left arm. the one on the left arm had something to do with a sword and some writing. maybe they worked for the gov't and tried to induct the black belts into the military or other gov't agencys but seriously if you read my other posts about the dojo and the way we trained it sorta seems like a cult or something

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

Kamidake
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What next, registering people who have BO or bad breath?

Tigerclaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,its a myth,nobody has to register for anything.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Hakko Denshinryu Jujutsu Kodokan Judo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'know, i think those who thinks they should be registered should be kept on a list of some sort...

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get in a fight and you are sued for being a black belt, than schools should change the ranking system to something like stripes or polka dotted belts. Loop hole

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider that not everyone on this board is from the same country. The laws will be different in most countries. In Canada, your foot is a deadly weapon, regardless of training, if it strikes another person's head. Breaking a person's arm is breaking a person's arm, whether you do it with an arm-bar or a crowbar.

Similarly, no law says you can't defend yourself with a submachine gun, if it's self defense, it's self defense. You would get charged for carrying the submachinegun, unless you had an appropriate license to do so, but not specifically for using it in self-defense.

"Self defense" is not a crime, it is a plea. You can be charged with anything, if it's self-defense, you'll be found not guilty. (in theory) The distinction with training only comes into play if you are determined to have been an antagonist and are found guilty of a crime, in which case whether your hands would be considered deadly weapons depends on whether or not the judge/jury felt you had the reasonable capacity to kill a person with your bare hands.. which most black belts probrably do.

I do believe that some places will register their black belts, as in case you ever flip out and start attacking people, it would help the police take appropriate action (likely opening fire or at least using batons) instead of attempting the takedowns that the police are trained in. (which are likely inferior to those a black belt would be practiced with.)

SoulAssassin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:
You might want to consider that not everyone on this board is from the same country. The laws will be different in most countries. In Canada, your foot is a deadly weapon, regardless of training, if it strikes another person's head. Breaking a person's arm is breaking a person's arm, whether you do it with an arm-bar or a crowbar.

Similarly, no law says you can't defend yourself with a submachine gun, if it's self defense, it's self defense. You would get charged for carrying the submachinegun, unless you had an appropriate license to do so, but not specifically for using it in self-defense.

"Self defense" is not a crime, it is a plea. You can be charged with anything, if it's self-defense, you'll be found not guilty. (in theory) The distinction with training only comes into play if you are determined to have been an antagonist and are found guilty of a crime, in which case whether your hands would be considered deadly weapons depends on whether or not the judge/jury felt you had the reasonable capacity to kill a person with your bare hands.. which most black belts probrably do.

I do believe that some places will register their black belts, as in case you ever flip out and start attacking people, it would help the police take appropriate action (likely opening fire or at least using batons) instead of attempting the takedowns that the police are trained in. (which are likely inferior to those a black belt would be practiced with.)

That was my thought, I agree fully.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: