Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prodigy-Child posted in New Years Resolutions ... to work on this particular area.
I offered a brief tip but how do you all work to achieve your repetitive kicking ability. I love to see just how many I can do ... afterwards my legs shake for several hours!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally drag out the old walker position it next to the wavemaster and use it for balance kicking different techniques as many times as I can without putting down my leg.
I would like to do it without the walker but I just don't have the physical ability. I do think though that the work I have done is showing results and I am slowly depending less and less on the walker.

Eru
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do much like that, I use a table for balance. But I actually like to put on the leg weights I got from my local sports shop. With ten pounds or more on your ankle you'll find that when you take the weight off you can hold your leg up much higher and longer lol. It's helped me to do lots of kicking without putting my foot on the ground. (Although in a real fight I dont know if I'd be able to get much use out of it, unless I was either surrounded or facing some dude who didn't realize he could get away from the flying foot lol)

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kickchick. Don't do any repetitive kicking accept to myself for doing stupid things without thinking through the situtation. I do not see the value of numerous kicks at a time accept in forms. Amazing the balance and coordinations. In sparring, I just step to the side and nail them with a side kick or a back fist. Something quick that saids, "Yo, I over here now!" Maybe you can enlighten me?

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[CT]

Not all of us martial artists do MA for street combat situations. Some techniques or exercises are done just to improve ourselves, and our bodies for no apparant reason. SOunds funny I know.

But remember when that bloke climbed Everest (I should remember his name, but I cant ATM). When asked why he did it, he simply responded "Because it was there"

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...consider yourself enligtened by Tobias_Reece's post above ....
He's on target ... repeat kicking can act as a conditioning exercise, both for leg strength and muscle development (end result power & height in your kicks) and balance! I have to say I usually don't kick repeatedly during a spar.... except when my opponent is backing away from me ... speed is the key here!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or as others would say "It is good training, just shut up and do it."

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Mt Everest and repetitive kicking, we do this drill called "mountains". You face a partner and do one round kick -they follow. Then you do two kicks and so on up to 15 kicks without setting your foot down. That's the up portion of the mountain. Now you go down 15-14-13...1. By the time your done it's something around 225 kicks per leg...then class really begins.

Slider
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I would actually advise against repetitive kicking personally. Against a seasoned street fighter, they will get on the inside of you quickly, and you will be in trouble. Try using your kicks to get on the inside of an attacker...then use hands to tear him to pieces. I would advise some ground fighting training as well....this will enhance your arsenal should the fight ever go to the ground(95% of fights go to the ground within 30 sec into the fight).

High kicking serves little purpose in a street situation. Keep em low, this will enhance your power. The higher the kick, the more you smear the power in the kick.

Hasta!!
Slider
2nd Degree Black Belt
Ed Parker Kenpo Karate

[ This Message was edited by: Slider on 2002-01-13 19:58 ]

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Slider ... let me first take this time to welcome you to KarateForums ...
I think where we were going with this particular thread was repetitive kicks as used in class. As a student of TKD ... we often hold our leg up and throw as many different kicks (including tension kicking)as we possibly could working on balance, height and power with each kick executed.
As Tobias_Reece stated in his post earlier "Not all of us martial artists do MA for stree combat situations. Some techniques or exercises are done just to improve ourselves" ... i.e. our kicking abilities. Kicking height is important for certain hyungs/katas...kickboxing and other styles of MA, and is effective during spar to the head...(again dependent on the style).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: