Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Resistance vs Precision Reply with quote

Hve you evaluated your precision activities vs your resistance practice?

Training with resistance be it rubber bands, people or horse riding is very different compared to precision: tennis, boxing or golf

How do you compliment or balance out your activities?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their both equal in the amount of time I spent with either of them because to spend more time with one or the other will unbalance everything.

Without listing every single thing that I do with either of them, just let me say that there's a wide plethora of things that I do with either of them. From resisting bands to swimming pool training, from isometrics to lifting, from Tuite to jiyu Kumite; the list goes on and on and on.

Many things I do I learned from my Soke and Dai-Soke, as well as from the countless MAists that I've crossed trained with, to things that I've learned on my own through my own researches.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on what I THINK my CI does as far as precision vs resistance...

We'll start with precision - kihon (basics), forms, and standardized stuff like numbered "self-defenses," kihon kumite and yakusoku kumite (different forms of pre-arranged sparring).

After that, we transition to resistance - situational/restricted free sparring (punches only, kicks only, minimum number of techniques in combinations, etc), then we'll progress into complete free-sparring. The precision stuff is the foundation of the resistance stuff - it's not supposed to be ignored just because it's free-sparring, otherwise why would we bother with it in the first place?

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I balance the two out quite nicely, because I use different types of resistance to force me to be more precise at different times.

If I want to hit harder and faster i must add some form of resistance. Why Harder = Faster? Hitting Harder = Force therefore Force = Mass x Acceleration.

So if I had Mass (or resistance) to an limb or whole body, then add the requirement of having to reach a certain time or speed then I am having to be precise in my movements because if i'm not then injury may arise.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precision practice, in my mind is better to be practiced first, as resistance is equally important but can hinder accuracy if used in the beginning.

In other words knife throwing is better to be practiced first then heavy rock throwing second.

Or focus pad work first and heavy bag work second.

On a week to week basis, I try to start the Monday being more accurate and by Friday the training has changed to complete resistance activities; from accuracy to strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: