Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tzu-Logic
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Inayan Eskrima and Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Respect Reply with quote

Hello all. I was thinking about a little bit about respect and martial arts a little bit, and thought it would be cool to discuss about what respect means to you.

My school is not a strict school. Our teacher isn't the type who viciously gives out pushups and demands strict serious training. But when he looks serious about something people stop and listen. They respect him. I think one of the reasons is he respects us too.

We don't bow at our class, but we do a small 'salute' to each other and say, "I give you respect, I mean you no harm." That way when my guard is down and he punches me in the head i know it wasn't meant to harm me

but yeah... respect... post your thoughts and or stories.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about respect for me is that it is a two-way street. When I was in the ATA, the guy who became my main instructor would refer to the students by Mr. or Mrs. "Smith" or whatever, just like we referred to him as Mr. "Smith." So, what he expected of us, we also expected of him. I think that is how respect has to be. It has to be earned, and not commanded.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most certainly has to be earned. I won't respect anyone because they have a higher rank in anything unless they prove it. However I will respect them as a human out of that environment. I see it as in one environment you have the opportunity to fill my glass up and in the other you either keep it at the same level or reduce it. In training theres a few things I always do, I help my partner get up from the floor even my instructors and I shake their hand after class. Also im not the instructor so if I have advice for my partner I just say something like 'try this' or 'this may help you'.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect begets respect!!

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent time in both the MMA gym environment and the "traditional" environment, I certainly have two different policies when it comes to respect.

I give much respect based on rank until an individual proves otherwise. I've been to tournaments where a blackbelt - particularly one high ranking blackbelt - was acting in a manner unbecoming to his rank and the nature of the event. Being subjected to him much longer would have likely led to a disrespect of him personally and a challenge in the parking lot.

That rare event aside, I would much rather be safe than sorry. In the arts and schools I've been around, Black Belts aren't earned very often, and despite age or size, the guy wearing one is usually quite the bad dude.

From the MMA standpoint, respect boils down to one thing for me: You're preparing to step into a cage with someone who wants to cause you serious bodily harm. This person is going to be all over you like a wet pair of jeans and it's my job to prepare you. In an MMA gym, respect often times means subjecting your training partner to long and painful training sessions that inflict serious mental toughness through physical conditioning. It's a lot of fun really...

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that respect is earned and not demanded and this is how it is in my club. The ones that are respected are the ones who have the skill and knowledge but also have respect the other students. However outside of my school, within the style, respect takes on a whole another level and I don't necessarily agree with all the practices even though I do them. Maybe its because of the military background to my style but respect and protocol based on ranks plays a huge part and its is expected that you show "respect" because someone is a higher rank.

For example, if a master walks into the room, the first person to see them shouts stop and we all stop what we are doing and bow to them (providing there isn't already a higher rank present) before carrying on. Or if you are sitting and a master approaches you, you have to stop what you are doing and stand up to greet them (again unless there is a higher grade already present). Or you have to take things with both hands, even if you are just passing a pad or piece of gear across. There are loads more examples. I don't really have a problem showing respect in these ways for someone I think deserves it, its only when they demand it that I'm inclined not to give it.

Actually in Totally TKD (issue 6) there was a really good article on the subject of protocol written by the late GM Trân Triêu Quan which is worth a read.

shimizu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate (and ITF Tae Kwon-Do)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
One thing about respect for me is that it is a two-way street. When I was in the ATA, the guy who became my main instructor would refer to the students by Mr. or Mrs. "Smith" or whatever, just like we referred to him as Mr. "Smith." So, what he expected of us, we also expected of him. I think that is how respect has to be. It has to be earned, and not commanded.

That is so true ! You cannot just walk into a class and demand respect - you have to show others respect before you yourself (despite your m/yudansha ranking) are shown it!

LittleW
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We generally show respect in my dojo, but it doesn't have anything to do with the belt rank. We treat everybody the same way, except for the trainer, even if there is a higher grade around than the trainer.
And a large protocol of how to show respect doesn't actually make you respect someone.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I personally think that respect is earned and not demanded and this is how it is in my club. The ones that are respected are the ones who have the skill and knowledge but also have respect the other students.

Soild. I think this sums it up.

MMA has done wonders for respect in the Martial Arts. Its almost like WWE/WWF where bravado and ego are becoming mainstream for entertainment purposes (with a few exceptions).
Bring back traditional values!

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always respect the dojo. However, some students tend to goof off, they aren't doing it to be disrespectful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: