Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so now I'm obliged to post a reply.... thanks Tobias. Anyways, I have noticed a distinct drop in the amount of respect given to senseis and people of a higher grade in the martial arts, though a lot of this is due to more and more people doing martial arts as a social activity, and this has led in a decline in quality in some areas. A lot of clubs have been forced to "modernise" and drop a lot of the traditions, in favour of a more relaxed style. This is now almost completely essential for clubs to attract new members and therefore survive, and though it works with kids (now the main source of income), adult classes often tend to look on it as insulting and disrespectful... well, I do, I'm not sure about others, Tobias?

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you're point TS757, and I can see where u are coming from.

HOWEVER, just because we have a joke about in class, we never show disrespect in our classes. We still bow etc..

In our class particulary, a certain 2nd dan has lost all respect from other people because of his dangerous warm-ups and bad teaching. Now I agree that he should have respect because of his grade and experience, but I'm afraid it has been lost.

But I have to agree. More traditional teaching has been forgotten because it is not popular in bringing in students. However, we still learn traditional karate, even though we dont do press-ups on our wrists. ()

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, If an instructor makes it clear to begin with that all black belts are to be respected, especially those teaching, students wouldn't be calling them by their first name would they?

So that my be the Sr. Instructors fault.

I have never had a problem with my students..they know that respect is a must at all times.

Peace,
Tae

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."
Proverbs 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect makes the world go 'round...

Lack of respect and traditional chivalrous qualities is apparent in MANY martial arts schools that i have come across...

Respecting the virtue and honour of women, respecting the honour of fellow men, martial artists, and friends is one of my highest morals.

The people from the kickboxing.com message board may already know this story but during my high school years i was very overzealous. I witnessed one of my female friends being harassed and actually physically handled *by* 2 guys and systematically broke one guy's nose and cracked the other dude's jaw...

Respect to your superiors is also a must. Even though i can outfight all but two of the people at my new karate dojo i always show respect to those of higher belt ranks...

RESPECT!
Angus Argyle.

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-06-23 20:58 ]

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-23 05:39, Angus wrote:
The people from the kickboxing.com message board may already know this story...

I agree with what you said.

But, this is the kickboxing.com message board! hehe

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Immortal
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect is most certainly a mutual thing. Both must give at the same time, not one at first. One thing I like about my current sensei, is that he always gives respect to all students, while teaching us respect. It's a mutual thing.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry man, i meant the OLD kickboxing.com message board...

Angus.

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-06-23 21:00 ]

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True respect is not governed or earned, it is felt. You can govern respect or you may earn it from lots of hard work. However, I feel that a person has true respect when another can feel it without any mention. A teacher may have no respect from his students at all. Then there is the white belt who may gain respect because of his determination. I had this one instance when an Orange belt corrected me on my block. He was wrong and I politely told him that. He then proceeded to argue with me for the sake of arguing. In that situation you may enforce some authority of your rank that you know more than he knows. So, it depends on the situation. I know I am confusing my issue as I continue. So here is my conclusion. Respect must be felt by the person giving it; but when someone corrects you for the sake of proving themselves right, then you must show them the way to enlightenment

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the way i work is that people have my highest respect and then gradually lose it if they do stupid things... Just like we all start off with A grades at school but when we do the work if wee don't put in the right amount then we go down to a B, or a C or an F!

Angus.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: