Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I have watched people in the arts work had for what they earn.

The one thing I have a problem with..is those who either, ahow a lack of respect, or those who think they have the right to demand it.
I don't like either.

Respect is something that is earned..never demanded. Black Belts who demand it..will turn out students, who will also demand it.
For instance I know a man, who is now a Hanshi(8th), who demands that everyone refer to him by his title at all times. This to me is nothing but arrogance on his part.

I was taught that the higher the rank..the more humble the person. However, it would seem that today that is not true. It would seem that some high ranking BB's actually get full of themselves...they think they now have all the answers..and they way is the only way.

These BB's seem to forget that they should never stop learning..even when they create their own system. This is not the way of the arts..you should never stop learning.

There is a saying "A king who demands respect will have soilders who will fight for him. A king that earns respect, will have soilders who will die for him."

So I have some words of Advice(for those who wish to listen),

Be the best student you can be.
Be the best BB you can be.
Be the best teacher you can be.
Always show humility the higher up you go in the ranks.
Never stop learning...until the day you die.
And most of all...Be the best person you can be.

Oh and by the way, always remember..no matter how much you learn..you good you are..and how hig the rank.
The is someone who knows more...is better..and a higher rank.

Peace to all,
Tae
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU Tae-san, OSU!!

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you said Tae.

Could you tell me what OSU means?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdoub
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick-san,

OSU means everything, BUT no. It is used for answering...

Yes
Of course
Absolutely
Right on
Oorahh
Hai
I can do it
You can do it
We can do it

...well, you get the picture.

John

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

Pheonix Eye
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another contributing factor to this is schools that hand out black belts as if they were candy on Halloween.
Ranks should be earned, not bought.

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stretching for my class and heard the chief instructor say to the kids class, something on the order of...."this is not a secret, but it is our secret"..refering to ones TKD skills/rank outside of the dojang...after all, isn't part of our skill to get out of a fight/circumstance without any violance?...lol...like when Bruce Lee sent that man off on the boat and never followed him!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be humble is part of earning respect. and yes; to avoid confrontation is the key to the martial arts.

we as martial artist train in combat techniques so we can give stength to our bodies and mind.

violence is used only as a last resort to bodily injury to ourselves or the innocent.

IMHO

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up for me John.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand whole-heartedly about the respect issue - that it needs to be earnt, not demanded. However, there still needs to be a certain amount in the dojo.

For example: I was talking to one of my students, when a child came up to my instructor and called him by his name - Steve. Steve then corrected the child by saying "No, you call me sensei".

I think this is perfectly fine, as the respect needs to be kept in a dojo. The students should call their instructor sensei.

Then there's the other hand...

When I was doing work experience in Leeds City Council, my boss constantly refered to himself as "Mr. Elvidge" instead of "Phil". Now this is bad manners.

I'm sure TS757 can back me up on this.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Lars
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-21 19:56, dreamer38f wrote:
I was stretching for my class and heard the chief instructor say to the kids class, something on the order of...."this is not a secret, but it is our secret"..refering to ones TKD skills/rank outside of the dojang...after all, isn't part of our skill to get out of a fight/circumstance without any violance?...lol...like when Bruce Lee sent that man off on the boat and never followed him!

Now you can't be more right than that. I actually had to get myself out of a problem with to crackheads that wanted to fight with me in a public amusement park. So I talked with them, and put another thought in their heads. One of them had a knife. But I was lucky, or shall I say they were lucky!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: