Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when people hear that i do MA (which isnt that uncommon, since i work in a resturant and have to schedule off every weekday evening to teach) they always ask at least two of these questions
1.how long have u been training?
2. what rank are you?/are you a black belt?
3.can u beat me up?/could u take me?

it was really hard when they would ask me how longand i would be like, almost 7 years, and then they would ask if i was a black belt, and id be like no
its not uncommon for them to assume that u are therefor not any good, because of others getting theres in 2 years or so

oh, n now i dont have that problem

honour is life
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: judo, ju jitsu. (going into tai chi and ninjitsu soon)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Respect for oneself if the most important kind. If you respect yourself then you can respect others and therefore earn respect yourself.

That is the most sensible thing i have heard in these forums for a long time Isshinryu. Congratulations for a really meaningfull post.

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rateh wrote:
when people hear that i do MA (which isnt that uncommon, since i work in a resturant and have to schedule off every weekday evening to teach) they always ask at least two of these questions
1.how long have u been training?
2. what rank are you?/are you a black belt?
3.can u beat me up?/could u take me?

it was really hard when they would ask me how longand i would be like, almost 7 years, and then they would ask if i was a black belt, and id be like no
its not uncommon for them to assume that u are therefor not any good, because of others getting theres in 2 years or so

oh, n now i dont have that problem

Word, every non-MA i've met at school has asked me almost the same questions. I just answer each question truthfully.
1. 1 year
2. orange belt. I have 9 more year to cop a blackbelt
3. i wouldn't need to fight you unless you actually threatened my life.

PlasmaShock
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martial arts are not what they used to be. thats why i train in a traditional style in a dojo that teaches ONLY a traditional style.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that respect is relegated only to "traditional" martial artists. On the battlefield, respect was earned through bravery and accomplishment. It is done much the same way today, only without as much lethality.

Respect can be earned, or it can be commanded. Earned respect is obviously more positive than commanded respect. If respect is commanded, it is usually through a chain of command, like the military (and many martial arts styles, especially "traditional" styles) or it is commanded through fear.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is not with MA. People does not respect each other , each other religion , each other life. And the loser people is the worst.
Most people who mock at MA normally are people with crappy lifes , crapy family, lazy , agressive , blank.
The only way to get respect of those pseudo- human litter is actually , is inside a ring. Walking away is generally fine... but some people is really annoying and perseverant in their jerkness
I remember when training boxing (not a MA , but useful as example ). And Idiot watched every day and mocked on the boxer. One day he decided to get in the practice. He wanted to combat. I asked my trainer to fight with him. I broke his nose , and his blood stained the ring´s floor.

After that day , he started to talk me with great respect and friendly

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasmaShock wrote:
martial arts are not what they used to be. thats why i train in a traditional style in a dojo that teaches ONLY a traditional style.

It's not the art, it's the teacher.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
PlasmaShock wrote:

It's not the art, it's the teacher.

That is a good point, ninjanurse. I think the problem lies just as much with TMAs as it does with MMA athletes.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like society in general has gotten a lot more disrespectful... not just focused on martial arts. How often do you see people throwing a temper tantrum at the store or bank trying to get their way? How often have you almost been in an accident because someone passed you on the shoulder of the road and flipped you off while doing it? It's kind of sad.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
I feel like society in general has gotten a lot more disrespectful... not just focused on martial arts. How often do you see people throwing a temper tantrum at the store or bank trying to get their way? How often have you almost been in an accident because someone passed you on the shoulder of the road and flipped you off while doing it? It's kind of sad.

It all comes back down to discipline, and unfortunately, we live in a society that frowns on discipline. They think it is abusive. I remember when I was a kid, me and my brothers would get to dinking around in the store with my mom, and she would just wack us right there, shape us up. I tell you what, I don't think it was possible for her to ever be embarrased, because she would just work us over in an aisle! Now, I don't view this as abusive, and I don't think spanking is abusive, either. Unfortunately, society does not share the same views I do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: