Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

however, i do think hoarding knowledge is not in the spirit of teaching...
while i agree with how josh chose to handle this particular student, i think it's wrong to with withhold what you know from your students. showing them what you know about other styles would make them better martial artists. that should be your utmost concern as a teacher.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at his website, I would tend to disagree with you.
On the other hand, why did he agree to accept the "challenge" from someone who was just there to watch class? The more correct solution might have been to offer to let the individual watcha few more classes, and let him see for himself that Karate probably isn't for him.
the idea of "holding things back" in order to be "one step ahead" is disingenous to the extreme. This isn't the behaviour of someone who wishes to teach, but of one who needs to be "better than others."

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you re-read Joshua's post, you'll see that the student was there to try out class, not just to watch. In some schools, students spar on their first night...apparently, Joshua's school is one of them.

hobbitbob wrote:
Synaesthesia wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:

I'm 15 years old.

Not to mention a genius.

Hmmm..how much did the anthropoid one pay you to say that?

Maybe I'm just loved

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... i just checked out the site and didn't get the best feeling from it. anyone who withholds knowledge from their students is not being a good teacher.

however, i still think that there are always going to be those students who need to be put in their place before they hurt someone. when this is done by a good instructor who's not doing it for the wrong reasons, i think it's alright.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
Well, if you re-read Joshua's post, you'll see that the student was there to try out class, not just to watch. In some schools, students spar on their first night...apparently, Joshua's school is one of them.

hobbitbob wrote:
Synaesthesia wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:

I'm 15 years old.

Not to mention a genius.

Hmmm..how much did the anthropoid one pay you to say that?

Maybe I'm just loved

Sigh... If I were twenty years younger, monkeygirl.....

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glingglo wrote:
yeah... i just checked out the site and didn't get the best feeling from it. anyone who withholds knowledge from their students is not being a good teacher.

however, i still think that there are always going to be those students who need to be put in their place before they hurt someone. when this is done by a good instructor who's not doing it for the wrong reasons, i think it's alright.

On this last part, I agree with you. I've done it myself on occaision, although it always leaves a bad feeling in my spirit.

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know what you mean...
i used to work with kids that were serious discipline problems. like, kids that would have to sometimes miss my class because they had to meet their parole officers. if you let kids like that get control of your classroom, no one can learn anything. it's hard though, cuz you don't want to feel like you're abusing your authority. and i always was hoping that if i just showed these kids respect, they'd respect me back. but there were always one or two that needed to learn the hard way.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an over emphasis on the meaning of belts / grades in this thread. As does there with age. I'm 18 soon (tomorrow as it happens ). Chances are if her head instructor thinks she's ready to teach them she probably is (was, this post started last year!!). As ahas already been mentioned the quality of her posts shows a maturity beyond her years, shes has the skill of a 1st dan so why shouldn't she teach?

I admit I don't think she should have been teaching full classes without supervision at 15 or even now as there are some things that only experience can teach you to deal with (apparently ). I sempai for my instructor, he *made* me do it because he said he thought I would be a natural. Without meaning to sound arrogant I have got alot of natural talent for both teaching and training in general. This is represented by the respect I get from people in the class, especially the older individuals who I respect, one in particular used to be my grade years ago but he realises that he is no longer at that level and gives me his full respect when im teaching him and in return he gets mine.

The over emphasis on age is especially amussing because playing by those rules I couldn't teach a class tonight, but tomorrow I could a full class by myself. Presumably the fairies/santa will leave wisdom under my pillow?

The grade issue is also over played. At some point I will be a fist kyu one day and a first dan the next day, is that another overnight qualification?

To a large extent maturity does come with age, but I (for example) am mature beyond my years, again I have been told this by others in the position to know, unlike many people my age I have never smoked or used drugs and very rarely drink (the age is 18 in the UK so tomorrow im legal), this puts me in a better position than many adults (not an accusation).

In some cases a younger instructor can be better for the students. My instructor is somewhere in his late 40's / early 50's (won't tell me exactly where...) and has a bit of arthritis and as such he prefers that I take the class through the stretching and the kicks simply because it is easier for my and SOME of my techniques are better than his.

Hope this didn't come across as the view from the arrogance of youth, but arrogance in small measures can be a good thing.

Hannibal
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, Boxing,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people only take advice from people who they respect they often seem to value the persons attention rather then the advice. If someone that you do not like gives you some good advice you may disregard it.

Monkeygirl do the right thing some people will respect you some wont. teach the best you can and always try to learn more. I have been teaching for 10 years + now and still have a lot to learn every few months I still improve (this is evident in the speed tha my students learn) and they are doing well. At 35 with my experience am I good enough to teach no, not really. I just try to help others be the best they can.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given comments in the past about the young. But, all that aside, if in your school you have a teenage instructor, then by right of their title respect is required. That is the ceremony of the school you attend. That is how things are run. If you don't agree with it, then you can change, but the person who is teaching is teaching for a reason. Regardless of whether it's a McDojo or not. Common decency requires nothing less. I have my differences with more than a handful of martial arts instructors, but I in no way am rude or obnoxious to them, my personal opinion is meaningless concerning their style, etc. I give them the common courtesy of respect. This isn't to be equated with admiration, but the courtesy of one professional to another.

So, whether I think a teenager should be an instructor isn't related to whether I should respect that instructor.

And, if my school had such an instance, then I would expect each and every student to afford the same respect given me to my young instructor. Because that young teacher was chosen by the head of the school.

Whether this is right or wrong doesn't change whether or not respect, i.e. courtesy of professionals, is to given or not. It always should be.

MA.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: