Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of my dojo's Leadership Team, which is like Instructors in Training, pretty much. I'm on one of the higher levels of this team, and the next step would be Assistant Instructor. I've been on the Leadership Team for over a year now, longer than most other members ever survive
I love teaching very much, especially children's classes, but adult's too. Teaching has enriched my life in many ways. However, there are some bad points.
I'm 15 years old.
This didn't used to be a big problem, but lately, as I've been gaining more authority, there's been some griping. Adults and older teenagers complain that they "cannot respect an instructor who is younger than they are".
Getting to my point, how would you deal with this? Has anyone else encountered this? I have had many obstacles on my road to Black Belt (a road i'm still on) as well as instructor.
I would like to know if there are any other young instructors out there, and I would also like to hear your opinion (good or bad, I can take it) of young instructors. Should we be allowed?
I'm patiently earning the respect of the students, as I believe that is the only way to gain respect. My Chief Instructor tells me these obstacles will make me a better instructor someday, and while I believe him, it's very discouraging....

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you. dont give up, if its what you wanna do, do it. but i can understand what they mean. i think its kinda a ego big head thing, how can someone younger then me be a teacher. personally i think id be ok with it someone younger then me. good luck with your quest for black belt!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-07 11:09, monkeygirl wrote:
I have had many obstacles on my road to Black Belt (a road i'm still on) as well as instructor.

May I ask what rank you are? .... And does that qualify you to teach? .... maybe to assist (?) Do you conduct classes entirely on your own? I find that hard to believe.
Children at our school (brown belt level 3rd degree) can "assist" the children's classes but ... no, are not "teaching" or assisting the adult classes.
Full time Instructors (IMHO) should be of at least 3rd/4th deg. On ocassion, I and many other black belts at our school, have conducted a class. It is good experience.
Black belts should be taught by Masters at their school in order to progress. Yes, I would not want a child of any rank below me, instructing me ... sorry!
The instructor is the person who is going to be guiding your development as a martial artist. You need to feel comfortable with him or her, and feel secure in receiving instruction from them. If you have some uneasiness or a personality conflict with the instructor(s) many students will act upon this and they should. They are paying good money for quality instruction and they should receive it.

I am sure you are 'respected' (looked up to and have a good repoire with) by the children in your children classes. People tend to throw that word "respect" around as if it is something to be handed out just because you have been placed in a certain position. Respect is earned .... and as you said, "you're still on the road".

Good Luck .... and keep assisting on your Leadership team

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-07 13:19 ]

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick, at what age is someone no longer a "child"? At what age does someone become worthy of instructing you?

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep on going...age seems to always have an effect.

I am 32 years old (although some say I look in my mid 20's), and some people look at me and say that I am too young to teach. I have been a practitioner for over 17 years now.

My point being is that there will always be someone who doesn't like how you do things. It may be discouraging, but as your instructor say it will make you better in the future.

People who are new to martial arts alot of the time have the image of the aged old master, and when they see someone less than 40, they assume that they do not have enough knowledge to teach.

Many of my younger student's "teach", but under my supervision, or assist in my teaching the class. They learn, while many are young such as yourself, they earn the respect of their older peers through a strong work ethic and proven ability.

Good Luck

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the age that I am concerned with here .... what are the qualifications? Iron you have years of experience (no matter how young you may look)
I am currently training for my 2nd degree ... so if you are quite capable of instructing me on all those requirements then you may be "worthy" ... (sorry that just reminds me of Wayne's World" ... "I am not worthy"...)
Our adult classes begin at age 16. But we have children in there who are in their 30's and 40's

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-07 14:16 ]

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree qualifications are the key...but to many age will always be an issue with some people.

In monkeygirls case it will be an issue that she will face time and time again, with new students, and in some cases their parents. It's sad but ture

Good luck with 2nd Degree.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think it's a situation where both sides have to come to a compromise. I'm 19 years old and teach Russian to students and tutees older than me--one of my tutees is 25, and her fiance is older.

I don't expect them to respect me as wiser in all aspects of the world, because they have more experience with that than I do. But I go about teaching Russian with confidence, knowing that five years of study and a residency in Russia serve me well. Because of that confidence, they respect my abilities in Russian.

So just go about what you do confidently, and try to be humble. If people don't respect you, you can't demand it from them. Ultimately, the ones who truly follow the spirit of MA will have respect for what you've accomplished and realize what they might learn from you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was 3 or 4 junior instructors in my last school and two assistants. The one assistant was 19, but he was an awsome teacher. He was a natural. His brother (also an assistant) was great at teaching technique.

The other three (18, 17, and 15) were ..... well ..... not naturals. They taught good on somethings, but they would argue, show off, ect during class. It got so bad that if they taught an adult class, there was a line of adults ready for the door (including me). We would not take class if they were teaching. So my master instructor taught all the adult classes or got one of the two assistants to teach (if he was out).

So, it depends on the person. If you are a good teacher who is humble and understanding, go for it. But don't be a "kid" (play around) while teaching. It's hard for an adult to take a junior instructor serious if all they do is "play around", chat with "friends", show off, ect.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your posts! You have made some good points and nevertheless made me feel better
Unfortunately, Iron Arahat is right. I'll always have the age problem, since I'm 5'2", 100lbs. If I keep a babyface into my 30s, I don't stand a chance...my grandmother never reached 5'!!! So I have to work pretty hard to earn respect, as well as my belts!
KickChick, you asked what rank I am. Well, I'll be testing for my 1st degree Brown Belt on Saturday (last belt before black in my dojo), but I've been teaching since I was a blue belt (5th belt of a 10 belt system).
We have the same system at our school with children assisting with children's classes, but I'm in the adult classes so I get to do both. I'm on an upper level of our Leadership Team, but not even quite an Assistant Instructor yet. On adult nights, our school usually tries to have a full Instructor at least supervising classes. This is difficult however, since all 3 of our instructors work part-time jobs and we have classes 5 nights a week. (We live in a small town, there just aren't enough students to be able to pay our instructors) It doesn't always work out. On kid's night's though, people of my rank (it usually helps if an Assistant Instructor is there, too) can handle it. However, we have limitations. Classes cannot spar unless an Assistant or Full Instructor of age 18+ is there.
Our dojo's policy is that anyone who is in charge of class at the moment, regardless of rank, is just that: IN CHARGE. Whether they be a yellow belt (which we don't accept onto our Leadership Team, it's hypothetical) with a 4th Dan Blackbelt in class. That 4th Dan must show the yellow belt his full attention and "respect". NOT a word we throw around lightly, as there have been some serious issues in the past that involved several people leaving the school, getting thrown out, or losing their blackbelt over their serious disrespect to the Chief Instructor and dojo.
When our Chief Instructor can't be there teach class, he feels confident that his Leadership Team (which includes Asst. and full Instructors) is doing the job well. He has taught us as students and evaluated us as teachers, and knows that we are perfectly capable of passing on martial arts knowledge. You don't make it onto the team if you don't know your stuff. People think you get a completely different workout from us, somehow inferior, to our Chief Instructors. And while it is an honor to work with him, and he may do some more new and interesting things, a kick you learn with us isn't going to be any worse than one you learn with him, unless your attitude gets in the way of your foot.

Be like water!!

[ This Message was edited by: monkeygirl on 2002-05-08 07:45 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: