Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both our Soke and Dai-Soke required everyone to call them by their official titles but that was only during any formal gatherings; to me, this isn't ego, it's formality and nothing more.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I still think respect has to be earned regardless of rank. My instructor demands respect. Every class he says "If one does not respect me they will do 100 pushups." When people do respect him, he doesn't really show respect back. Still, the students are suprisingly very respectful towards each other though.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
Yeah. I still think respect has to be earned regardless of rank. My instructor demands respect. Every class he says "If one does not respect me they will do 100 pushups." When people do respect him, he doesn't really show respect back. Still, the students are suprisingly very respectful towards each other though.

If any instructor out of the Hombu and/or my own dojo acted and demanded that way...they'd be called on the carpet, and if they did that again...they'd no longer be teaching at either of the aforementioned locations.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:

We HAD an instructor in our organization like that....its best to leave them a wide birth and pretend they dont exist. the inevitable happened, he went from a HUGE dojo with 60 people, to a smaller one, then a smaller one and his attitude made his club numbers go from 60, to 40 to 20 and finally he walked away.

My guess is his attitude really poisoned the bunch. It was nice to see him go, if he had a better attitude he could have had a club with 100 people in it...but he belittled others and acted like we owed him something. He was my senior by a belt level and a few years training and I had to put up with and clean up a lot of his issues and messes.....

I was glad to see him go and I tell students now that the weight of our dojo seems to be much lighter and happier!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowing and what not is more of a courtesy than a respect thing. You can be courteous to someone, but not respect them.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Bowing and what not is more of a courtesy than a respect thing. You can be courteous to someone, but not respect them.

SOLID post!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect between our students, sempai and sensei is constant. If you do not show respect, you will be reminded - this goes for all grades. You are not punished, you are just made aware that in showing respect your fellow student feels that you appreciate their person in the club, that you have camaraderie with them and an inter club bond. It is a sign of friendship and quiet appreciation of the effort they have made to obtain their grade. From this we share good control in technique, a quiet audience for kata with neat and appropriate manner. The atmosphere of the junior and adult class is different, the children really enjoy the energetic exercise and learning, in the Adult class true Budo and Calmness is what we are looking to achieve.

SifuGazz
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Xingyichuan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Respecting your higher ranks Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
I know there's some rule that you need to respect higher ranks. In my opinion respect is something that is earned. I respect everyone that is a higher rank, but sometimes I think, do they really deserve it just because of a rank? I think that the anyone, not just higher ranks, should prove that they deserve the respect. Because of a lack of respect for seniors in our dojo, our instructor has made us bow the rank above us before class ends. For example, I'm a striped orange belt. At the end of class, I need to say "Bow Green Belt." Which is the belt after mine.

We are permanently doing this. I do not mind this at all, but just wondering whether any other orginizations did this?

What is your opinion on the respect of higher ranks.

An old military saying we had - if you have to use your rank to lead properly or gain respect, you have already failed.

This is the same in martial arts. It is also why I do not have my students even wear rank in class. It divides IMO. It should be apparent who has more skill than who, it doesn't have to be formalized into rank worship.

Showing respect to someone is free, I do so until they prove they deserve otherwise.

G

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Respecting your higher ranks Reply with quote

SifuGazz wrote:
FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
I know there's some rule that you need to respect higher ranks. In my opinion respect is something that is earned. I respect everyone that is a higher rank, but sometimes I think, do they really deserve it just because of a rank? I think that the anyone, not just higher ranks, should prove that they deserve the respect. Because of a lack of respect for seniors in our dojo, our instructor has made us bow the rank above us before class ends. For example, I'm a striped orange belt. At the end of class, I need to say "Bow Green Belt." Which is the belt after mine.

We are permanently doing this. I do not mind this at all, but just wondering whether any other orginizations did this?

An old military saying we had - if you have to use your rank to lead properly or gain respect, you have already failed.

This is the same in martial arts. It is also why I do not have my students even wear rank in class. It divides IMO. It should be apparent who has more skill than who, it doesn't have to be formalized into rank worship.

Showing respect to someone is free, I do so until they prove they deserve otherwise.

G

Yes...Yes...Yes...a very solid post!!

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Respecting your higher ranks Reply with quote

1+

sensei8 wrote:
SifuGazz wrote:
FangPwnsAll7 wrote:

G

Yes...Yes...Yes...a very solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: