Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

David the Gnome
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Uechi-Ryu, Wado-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Restoring Abductor Flexibility Reply with quote

I am looking for advice on some stretches or exercises I can do to help restore flexibility to my abductors (the muscles that run up the inside of your thighs). I've torn my right abductor a couple times in the past and it has resulted in losing almost all my flexibility in those muscles. In everyday life this normally isn't an issue, but now that I'm getting back into martial arts I'm really feeling the lack, especially on my mawashi geri. If I'm not careful I can cause myself a lot of pain doing a mawashi geri with my right leg and I've found I have to be extremely careful stretching so as not to aggravate it.

Does anyone else share this issue or does anyone have advice on ways to help restore some flexibility?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't tear the muscle (much, that I know of...), I did have a lot of issues with my hips in those areas (iliacus/iliopsoas/sartorius.) Round kicks were my bane! The issues were rather persistent, and debilitating enough to encourage me to seek medical attention. My primary care physician prescribed me 6 weeks of physical therapy. Not only did I go to PT, I made sure to do the exercises virtually EVERY DAY. The exercises included various stretches, as well as strengthening exercises (from leg lifts to balance exercises, to other forms of resistance training.)

I did plenty of research online, and I found that martial artists, dancers, soccer and hockey players all suffered from similar ailments. Some of the research also indicated that the issues have a tendency to go chronic fairly easy without proper care and allowing the injury to fully heal.

I highly recommend that you see your doctor and try to get some PT!!!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body has ways of restoring its self, but continually doing something wrong, chances are it will not get better.

Better to do techniques slowly building up strength and flexibility.

Trauma and stress, scar tissue and arthritis, need therapeutic measure to counteract the high demands put on the human body.

In other words, keep the faith in what you do, but play safe doing it, so you can continue doing it and become better at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: