Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are moving truly to the old wys then no belts and no marketing i.e. teaching in secret and to select people only.

I said old ways, not prehistoric.

Back to the old ways for Shindokan, at this time, is to eliminate rank indentifiers. This has been done.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why have any indicator of rank at all, unless you are the instructor that is?
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having the indicators of rank up to the dan level, at least. It keeps everything organized and gives you something to work for in the beginning while you're still trying to get a grasp on the big picture. Would I still go and train if there were no belts at all? Of course. In fact, I'm no specific belt right now and I sort of like that. But then again, I'm fairly competitive and somewhat vain anyway (although I never show it) so even if there were no visable ranks I'd know where I stood in the class and get personal satisfaction in being ahead of someone else, even if I didn't show it (of course right now I'm the lowest person in the class and I'm perfectly happy with that-- I get all the attention and extra help and everything ). Even with the black belts, most of whom I have no idea what degree they are since we don't display it, I can tell who's higher and who's lower based on how good they are and which ones will automatically take a leadership position among the others and which ones will gratefully recieve the instructions given by the other and which ones feel they have the right to argue. There's a pecking order, even when no rank is displayed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: