Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Rolling: Shoulder Roll or Judo Roll? Reply with quote

Through my martial arts experience, I have done many different kinds of rolls, but there seem to be two major ways to perform a front roll. (Both can be seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRfMN0NG0c )

The judo roll (roll 1 in the video): A modified somersault, the hands remain in the center and stay on the ground throughout the roll.

The Shoulder roll (roll 2): Also know as a Parkour roll, this goes from one shoulder to the opposite hip.

Which one does your art use more? Which one do you prefer? My school tends to do the shoulder roll style more, and we sometimes do a dive variant of it.

(There is a third, Ninja-esque, roll at the end, but I haven't seen that as much as the other two)

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my first art and later the BJJ academies I've been at have both done the shoulder to hip roll. It minimized spinal contact with the floor and doesn't rely on any hands for support and it lends itself to breakfall training to either side and the back.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the first roll called a judo roll? I would get yelled at so bad if I put my hands down like that in Judo. I would never put my hands down like that... Break your wrists if you land wrong... I do keep getting yelled at, too, for doing something closer to the third roll shown where I land by my shoulder first instead of rolling up my arm. The one they want us to do is pretty close to the 2nd roll, but with different hand positions.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither; au/au chibata works fine for that sort've energy recovery, and we usually train all our falling on swept concrete or cobble.
Also not a fan of the way he put his hands down for roll #1. Wrists don't hold force in the ways that the calves do, and he's springing off of the fingers that way.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did judo for 4 years, and both styles of karate I have trained in include breakfalls in their curriculum, and I have NEVER been taught to put my hands down as shown in Roll 1.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulder rolls unless practicing straight overs.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rolling: Shoulder Roll or Judo Roll? Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
Through my martial arts experience, I have done many different kinds of rolls, but there seem to be two major ways to perform a front roll. (Both can be seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRfMN0NG0c )

The judo roll (roll 1 in the video): A modified somersault, the hands remain in the center and stay on the ground throughout the roll.

The Shoulder roll (roll 2): Also know as a Parkour roll, this goes from one shoulder to the opposite hip.

Which one does your art use more? Which one do you prefer? My school tends to do the shoulder roll style more, and we sometimes do a dive variant of it.

(There is a third, Ninja-esque, roll at the end, but I haven't seen that as much as the other two)

Ok, first of all, that guy is having too much fun wearing a black costume outside on a bright sunshiny day.

But seriously, roll number 1 is a summersault(sp?), not a roll you see in Judo except as a way to teach kids and beginners.

Roll number 2 is close to a proper Zempo Kaiten Ukemi, but you might want to make sure you are better at it than this guy. One of the main technical points is to make sure that if you start with the right arm and right leg forward when you finish standing the left arm and left leg are forward to allow for continuous(sp?) rolling without the need to take a step in between. This is critical if you were to say, be a NINJA and jump off the back of something moving and need to kill more momentum than a single roll would allow without harming yourself.

Roll number 3 is a no hands version of roll 2. When you get decent at forward rolls, the hands are not really necessary and if you are relying on them then you are in trouble shoud you ever be thrown with something that occupys your hands.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We practice both Touritsu (handstand) and Zempo Kaiten (shoulder to hip) Ukemi.

Whilst I wouldn't say it was wrong to learn them by using your hands (or at least your hands make contact with the floor) - the better you get at them the least you should have to use your hands and arms.

In our school we also have the added dynamic of performing Ukemi whilst wearing weapons (Kodachi and Odachi) - now that’s not easy!

As for the doing them in the stealthiest way possible??? I'm not sure that is a major objective behind learning them in the first place. Chances are if you have to use ukemi, your opponent already knows you are there!!

Also, by using the bottom of your foot to absorb the drop (thus keeping your hips off the floor) this minimises spinal contact with the floor and also - helps if you are wearing weapons.

K.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulder to hip roll...I won't do any other.

Btw, I like the fact that, in the video link provided, he was doing rolls downhill.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't view the videos but the rolls we practice are similar to that used in Aikido, but have used the forward, back & side breakfalls used in Judo & Jujitsu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: