Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Ronin life Reply with quote

My job has me moving around a lot. As such, I spend a lot of time training in a lot of different dojos, which has been both a blessing and a curse in many ways, especially when it comes time to tests or competition. For the past several years I dealt with this by just avoiding either. Keep it simple. Focus on training. However, and here's the hilarious part, moving between dojos within the same organization seems almost more complicated than between. Because now I am back to competing, I am being chastised for not competing for team selections, which I am not being invited to because no one considers me from their region. Similarly, I keep getting told to test, but under whom I should test is unclear, since everyone considers me someone else's student. For all its joys, this wandering life sure gets old sometimes. Here's hoping I get my dream job and can settle down, have a nice stable dojo life, maybe put a makiwara down in the yard of a house I own.

Any other ronin karateka out there?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't imagine what that ronin lifestyle must be like. I've always had a dojo to call home, no matter if that home was the Hombu and/or my own dojo. Had a place to test and a place to teach, one way or another.

I don't succumb to pressure from anyone or anything whatsoever. They want me to test...not until I'm good and ready!! They want me to compete...not until I'm good and ready!! Whatever it is that they want me to do...not until I'm good and ready!!

Why??

This is MY journey, and it's not their's in any shape, way, and/or form!!

What they feel is important, isn't important to me at all!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty lucky to be where I am, I feel. But the thought of moving has occurred to me more than once. I don't think I could find a school that is the same as this one. So, if I were to move, I'd likely be taking up a new style of martial art all together.

When it comes to testing, I'd ask the next person who tells you to test if they would be willing to conduct it.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone were to try to pressure me to test or compete, I'd ask them why it matters so much to them. Do they want the accolade of having the most black belts? Or do they want to boast about all the trophies in their club?

It's your journey, not theirs. A good teacher will know that.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've all got the wrong impression. It's not that I'm feeling pressured to test and I am unprepared or something. It's been almost 10 years since my last test. I can take it anytime. I'm fine with that. The problem is that sometimes it seems like it's not physically possible for me to test. I've actually tried to test twice last year, but was told that it would be better in another region or at another camp, since I'm not really from there.... even though those people saying that were the same ones who told me I was ready to test in the first place!

It's more like, how shall I put this, It's like being at a party where everyone has a plate of cake but you, and all the people you talk to want to have the same conversation "Why don't you have cake? Someone should really give you a piece" but no one offers you a slice. It just makes for a frustrating situation.

Meh, life goes on though. It's not the biggest problem. I could just continue to not compete or test, it's just that people always want to talk about that cake with me, and it's hard to not want a slice of cake sometimes.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean.

I can kind of relate to some extent, in that I refuse to test until I'm confident I can blast through it. I never want to just score just enough to pass. That's no good to me. So I'll miss quite a few test opportunities by choice. Then some people, mostly the ones that I consider to be belt chasers, try to strike up conversations with me about grading. Conversely, those that really know me, never talk to me about grading, with the exception of comparing comical anecdotes about our past grading experiences.

If you want to grade but can't, I would be tempted to break the golden rule, and ask the instructor what you need to do to persuade him to set up your test. If on the other hand you're really not bothered, I just wouldn't get drawn into other folks ideas of what's right for you.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you have cake...too!! Seems pressure, enough to me!!

Don't worry about why I don't have any cake...I didn't ask you to worry about me not having cake...I'm fine with no cake, thank you the same. Offering me some cake or not, is their given right to exercise.

With me, I'm here for the knowledge/experience, and not for any cake!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate. I moved around constantly. When I was a kid I went to several elementary schools, 3 jr high schools, and 4 high schools. Crazy to say that.

I went through this with training too of course. As I aged I kept this gypsy mentality for years. I never was able to continue training much at one place thus I have a very mixed background in martial arts, although I use this to my advantage. I have been studying martial arts on and off since 83. I went without testing on many occasions. If I hadn’t god knows I could be some 8th dan or something.

This, I have grown to care very little for Rank. There is so much benefit in testing, and then again so much benefit in NOT testing too! The rank isn’t the most important thing and I think most people get too caught up in it and place their martial arts value in it.

Happy training!

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Don't worry about why I don't have any cake...I didn't ask you to worry about me not having cake...I'm fine with no cake, thank you the same. Offering me some cake or not, is their given right to exercise.

Are we having cake!?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Are we having cake!?

To ones heart contents, as one desires!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: