Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Our kicks are geared for no higher than the stomach, with the majority of the target being the inside/outside of the opponents legs.

It is essentially the same for us in Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu). Pretty much any part of the body that's a target from the stomach downwards are our prime targets for kicks. When we do practice high kicks, it's more for development of balance and body control than for practical use.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

BlackKnight
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Chibana-ha ShorinRyu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CredoTe wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Our kicks are geared for no higher than the stomach, with the majority of the target being the inside/outside of the opponents legs.

It is essentially the same for us in Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu). Pretty much any part of the body that's a target from the stomach downwards are our prime targets for kicks. When we do practice high kicks, it's more for development of balance and body control than for practical use.

^^^This!^^^

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackKnight wrote:
CredoTe wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

^^^This!^^^

This doesn't surprise me because the three of us are related through the styles that we're training in.

edit: spelling [ I can't even spell 'me', I spelled it 'be'...dork]

Last edited by sensei8 on Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:
CredoTe wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

^^^This!^^^

This doesn't surprise be because the three of us are related through the styles that we're training in.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

tamaro
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum it up, from what I've understood, the main reasons for not using ball of foot more often are:

1) Martial art/system doesn't use ball of the foot in roundhouse
2) Greater risk of injury to toes or ankle
3) Limitations on angle of attack
4) Short range strikes are easier to perform with shin
5) Sparring training benefits instep to reduce risk of injury to partner

Thanks for the feedback

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com
(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ball foot/ instep debate can have a target specific solution; also if I'm wearing boots in a real defense situation; there is no question that I would use the toe. As for height; Again this is a situation specific argument; jaw or ankle? The choice may or may not be yours.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to change depending on target. i don't really like round house tp the body but when i do its usually with the ball to somewhere like the liver or kidneys. when attacking the outside of a leg it is the shin. and when attacking the inside iys more of the base of the foot and ankle. i would also use the base of foot and ankle when going high, but my target is usually the side of the neck and not the skull so not as much danger of hyperextension

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the shin followed by the instep. I tried with the ball of foot but kept hurting my toes on the heavy bag. I decided that, even if the ball of foot is effective, I can't practice it without hurting myself so I focus on what I can train.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansenator wrote:
I like the shin followed by the instep. I tried with the ball of foot but kept hurting my toes on the heavy bag. I decided that, even if the ball of foot is effective, I can't practice it without hurting myself so I focus on what I can train.
The key to kicking with the ball of the foot is making sure you are at the proper angle to the target so the toes are back far enough and you don't hurt them. Lining up for board breaking with ball of the foot kicks is good training for getting those angles down.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first learned karate the roundhouse was taught with the impact area being the ball of the foot or the instep/top of the foot. These are the most commonly taught across all styles of karate.

The instep works well in competition with footpads but it is very risky if the kick is aimed high. Done barefooted it can result in severe injuries for the kicker if the kick strikes something hard such as an elbow.

The original striking surface for the roundhouse in karate is the big toe or the area of the upper instep where the foot meets the ankle. The toe is used for a pointed, penetrating kick aimed at softer targets such as the kidneys or liver and upper legs. The instep is used for low roundhouses aimed above the ankle on the inside or outside of the leg where there is almost no muscle. A slight kick there is very painful and a hard kick will break the smaller bone. Needless to say it is not allowed in tournaments.

The most important thing to remember about kicking is that whatever striking surface you are taught to use, it is vital to condition that part by hardening it gradually. If your striking surface is properly conditioned to hit hard, it will be much less likely to get broken or injured. Bare feet and legs are meant for getting around, but it is conditioning that makes effective defensive weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: