Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ninja_09
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay thai, Kung-fu, Capoeira

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gzk"]
GhostFighter wrote:
But doesnt roundhouse kicking someone with your shins hurt withouth protection? You could hurt urself more then the oppenent even when ur shins are trained.

well conditioning goes with it but i think its more of a mental element...just that you need to go through with your actualy kick. any hesitation can cause serious injury to yourself which is why you would just go balls out with it

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well conditioning goes with it but i think its more of a mental element...just that you need to go through with your actualy kick. any hesitation can cause serious injury to yourself which is why you would just go balls out with it

Agreed. Its mostly your state of mind. Just like you can be unprepared, stub your toe and it will hurt like crazy, then when your prepared in training etc you can hit really hard without noticing it at all.

ninja_09
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay thai, Kung-fu, Capoeira

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put. ive seen guys go through brick wals but those same guys hurt themselves from an everyday 2x4 its mind over matter

Kajukenbopr
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo - Emperado Method

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any kick can be made effective from the waist down. Anything above that COULD be used against you.

GhostFighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Krav Maga + Thaiboxing + Boxing

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about kicking with ur feet instead of shins, would that be more or less effective?

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg. However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

Try it with a kick shield. Kicking with the foot will give you a nice, satisfying slapping sound as it connects, but kicking with the shin (properly - with the leg bent and with weight shifted on it) will really penetrate the kick shield's padding; your partner will definitely feel it!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gzk wrote:
Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg.

Yes, this is correct. The foot is traveling faster than the rest of the leg!

gzk wrote:
However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

Try it with a kick shield. Kicking with the foot will give you a nice, satisfying slapping sound as it connects, but kicking with the shin (properly - with the leg bent and with weight shifted on it) will really penetrate the kick shield's padding; your partner will definitely feel it!

This is because the shin is one of the most dense bones in the body. It supports the weight and takes all of the shock and impact you put on it. Only your femur (thigh bone) compares in strength and durability. Plus the shape of the shin gives it a nice little ridge to strike with, kinda like having a blade on it. Less little bones, more dense, sharp, not much loss of impact = better to strike with IMO

Kajukenbopr
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo - Emperado Method

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
gzk wrote:
Kicking with the feet gives you slightly more range and in theory, the foot has more momentum (I think?) as it is at the end of the lever that is your leg.

Yes, this is correct. The foot is traveling faster than the rest of the leg!

gzk wrote:
However, your foot has a much weaker connection to your body mass as there is a joint between your foot and your shin, making the contact less "solid". Also, your foot is full of breakable little bones, and feet don't like to bend back too far, something knees are fine with.

This is because the shin is one of the most dense bones in the body. It supports the weight and takes all of the shock and impact you put on it. Only your femur (thigh bone) compares in strength and durability. Plus the shape of the shin gives it a nice little ridge to strike with, kinda like having a blade on it. Less little bones, more dense, sharp, not much loss of impact = better to strike with IMO

however, keep in mind that in order for you to kick with your shin correctly you must train it first, kinda like your knuckles when you first start training, until they lose the nerves that make hitting them hurt and your bones get denser.Learning to use your shins effectively is not something that happens overnight, it will take some serious training, if you want to kick this way.

you can still kick with your feet, it is all about technique; certain parts of your foot will be more resistant than others, so learn to use those parts and not the ones most likely to break.

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Oh, no, I don't think so. Think about throwing it to the upper thigh (Muay Thai style) or into the knee. I don't think I would thow it head level, but definitely to the leg.

i disagree , many other more accurate and quicker moves can be done in a less time frame and be much more damaging.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ying&yang wrote:

i disagree , many other more accurate and quicker moves can be done in a less time frame and be much more damaging.

It depends what openings are being offered to you at the time, if the person has just flinched and is covering high, then a quick low shot with a number of high follow ups is a sensible option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: