Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce lee said "kicking a man in the head is like punching him in the foot"! The thing is in my opinion as a martial artist, and as a martial arts instructor, there IS a time and a place for everything.

Ronda Rousey was knocked out with this kick, no it's not the street but it's close. I have lost a lot of flexibility at 39, so my last option would be head pro any at this point but it would still be an option.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Bruce lee said "kicking a man in the head is like punching him in the foot"! The thing is in my opinion as a martial artist, and as a martial arts instructor, there IS a time and a place for everything.

Ronda Rousey was knocked out with this kick, no it's not the street but it's close. I have lost a lot of flexibility at 39, so my last option would be head pro any at this point but it would still be an option.

Solid post!!

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how good you are with your rounder. I'd use it if the opportunity became my best option. I've kicked many trained opponents in the gut with a medium power rounder and watched them drop to the mat gasping for air. I accidentally broke the rib of one of my classmates when I countered his attack. It works if you can do it fast enough. I don't use it as much as front, side and back kicks though.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this hasn't been addressed as of yet, let us not forget that the roundhouse can be delivered to other ranges other than high. In Shindakan, our range for the roundhouse is low, and never higher than the stomach. Shindokan kicks are primarily for set-ups for our hands.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Bob. A low round kick can do lots of good damage, especially to the knee, or striking the common peroneal in the upper leg.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:

Bruce Lee was way ahead of his time, but he wasnt perfect. He thought Muay thai wasnt a very practical fighting style, but its beaten every striking style there is since his time.

Ronda (and everyone else for that matter) getting knocked out just shows the effectiveness of a head kick. Of course, what most people are missing most are the relative questions that will determine if a head kick is a good idea:
-can you throw one (well?)
-how skilled is the person you're throwing it against?

When talking self defense, we're typically talking you're regular joe street fighter. Basically an untrained person, a scrub. If you're a trained fighter you can pretty much do whatever you want, headkicks included, while you crack jokes, and update your facebook status at the same time.

The closer the skill level of the two examples above, the more difficult and perhaps less practical an attempted head kick becomes.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu makes some good points. I didn't watch the fight where Rousey was knocked out by the head kick, but I'd be willing to bet that there weren't a ton of head kicks thrown. Timing, set-up, and opportunities are what make for a great kick.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roundhouse is only useless if the practitioner can't be effective with it!! If the practitioner can use it effectively, then it isn't useless!!

Imho!!

straightblast
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: close quarter combat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who did a high roundhouse in a street fight, he broke every finger in the other guys hand because he tried to catch it or block it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:

Bruce Lee was way ahead of his time, but he wasnt perfect. He thought Muay thai wasnt a very practical fighting style, but its beaten every striking style there is since his time.

Ronda (and everyone else for that matter) getting knocked out just shows the effectiveness of a head kick. Of course, what most people are missing most are the relative questions that will determine if a head kick is a good idea:
-can you throw one (well?)
-how skilled is the person you're throwing it against?

When talking self defense, we're typically talking you're regular joe street fighter. Basically an untrained person, a scrub. If you're a trained fighter you can pretty much do whatever you want, headkicks included, while you crack jokes, and update your facebook status at the same time.

The closer the skill level of the two examples above, the more difficult and perhaps less practical an attempted head kick becomes.

I disagree with your point that a street fighter is on the losing end easily in your scenerio. People are people so it's always up in the air but I'm going to be completely honest, many martial artists I have seen wouldn't hardly mop the floor with guys from my neighborhood. Where I'm from guys lift a lot of weights, they are strong, they are tough, and they aren't afraid. They don't have half of the respect as many martial artists and I don't see it going how you described it.

I don't think Bruce meant it shouldn't be used but the fact is that it is a fair comparison. A low kick has much more weight behind it, a mid section kick has much more reach with its use, a high kick is at a disadvantage. Also, in a street situation I assure you idlf a man isn't good, I mean fast and hard hitting, with a high kick then it's highly likely somebody will grab it.

If we make the assumption that the person using it is highly skilled I hear you, but FYI Brian (bushido man) is totally right. I did see the fight, and there were not a tremendous amount to of kicks thrown. It was about timing. Only a fool would walk up on a grappler and stick to head shots.

I say to adult students in particular "theres a time and a place for everything". I say it to more adults because adults seek what's practical, and challenge things mentally. It's important for me to help students see that what's practical depends on many things.

I have some basic grappling skills, but I bet I can take some people with my mobes, that makes them effective in some situations. A jiu-jitsu guy would make me a pretzel, not so effective. Not always about the techniques but how well you can execute them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: