Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Safe Halloween Celebrations Reply with quote

Hey all,

What are you doing to celebrate Halloween safely this year?

We'll be watching some movies and decorating, but getting out of the house, there were/are two drive-thru experiences that we were able to get tickets for:

Nights of the Jack, which has a bunch of cool carved pumpkins
Stranger Things: The Drive-Into Experience

Did the first already, and it was fun, but really looking forward to the second!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're staying home on Halloween; not even passing out candy this year.

I really like your Halloween plans, Patrick; drive-in movies are always fun.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halloween is not much of a thing in Germany. November 1st is a public holiday (All Saints Day) in the Catholic parts of Germany, and Oct. 31st in the Lutheran ones (Reformation Day), so some younger people use that opportunity to throw a party, but since this year those days fall on a weekend anyway and because of the whole Corona thing, I don't think much of that is going to happen.

In the region where I live we do celebrate St. Martin's day, though, which is on the 11th of Nobember. Normally, there are lantern parades with an reenactment of the St. Martin legend (basically a soldier dude come home from war, sees a freezing beggar at the side of the road and then cuts his own cloak in half to share it with the guy). There are a lot of traditional songs that go with it. And after the official parade is over, kids go from house to house in groups with their lanterns and sing those songs in exchange for candy. So it is a bit like trick or treating, just "nicer". I really loved doing this as a child. This years most of the official parades have been cancelled, and I don't suspect many children to go from house to house either.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, Capella. Sounds fun. But makes sense that it's being dialed back this year.

We've already caught parts both of The Addams Family and Addams Family Values movies from the '90s.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't really do Halloween in a big way in the UK. Some kids go trick or treating, some have parties but its not massive. In our TKD school we've been doing Halloween themed classes where everyone can dress up and we take a break from normal training and do fun fitness things. This year we will still let them dress up but we're going to be limited in what we can do.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's going on here this year. Most kids wear a mask on Halloween, anyways, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll be watching expectantly as it approaches, to see how people handle it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: