Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

muaythaidm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do alot of people compare san shou and muay thai? Are they similare or is it another one of those "my martical art is better then yours."?

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Shou in recent years has become to look very much like Muay Thai. The difference today is that San Shou allows take-downs but not elbows and knees. Muay Thai allows elbows and knees but not take-downs. Both arts used to have "no holds barred" type of competitions before the safety factors took effect.

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange but before I came to this martial arts forum, I had never heard of the san shou style.
I'm also having the impression that muay thai school are also kind of hard to find. Perhaps the training is harder than what most people can handle...

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen with friend who have train Muay Thai, it is very intensive, and a lot of work. Because they are focusing on ring work, a lot of bag work, pad work, etc. It developes well conditioned athletes.

I would say that there is more Muay Thai schools around than that of San Shou, although San Shou is just a set of rules for fighters of different kung-fu systems to come together. With this said alot of Chinese martial artist do not fight San Shou, and alot of gyms do not train full time for the sport. Fighting San Shou is a second thought in most kung-fu schools.

It is easier to get Muay Thai bouts across NA, UK, for most thai athletes prepare for the ring...were as most kung-fu schools do not.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, San Shou has sweeps which is not allow in MuayThai.

Also, the side kick is the trade mark in San Shou while the round house kick in for MuayThai.

www.muaythaiboxing.friendpages.com
This site is dumb but I made it so it is good.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: