Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Savate anyone? Reply with quote

Was watching reruns of Human Weapon, and I came across the savate episode... was wondering if anyone had any training in this?
I'm not personaly impressed by the style, it looked like boxing combined with point karate, but i'm trying to keep and open mind.

Is there is any techniques that you've found to be effective?

one thing I did see, and we'd do a variation of in muay thai, is what they call the "chasse bas" which I think should be very effective in both full contact and street self defense.

Last edited by chrissyp on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kicks are unrelated to karate. If they were picked up anywhere, it's more likely they came out of African martial arts.
They do have some ideas that I like on studying the ways that you can use the structure of your footwear, which you are always wearing, for your strikes.

Looking at one of the other videos around, I recall seeing them practicing with something a bit like mea lua de compasso, which we have along with some other bits in their kicking methodology.

I also note that chasse bas looks like a textbook benção.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like kickboxing with shoes and a point system that favours kicks. You only win by points if there is no knockout however.

I think it's pretty legit.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently had some exposure through some JKD contacts. There are groups of JKD that have embraced it quite a bit. It is a shoe based art, so when you look at foot position keep in mind that it's designed to be used while wearing footware, not like many arts where your toes or bare feet are making contact. So, when there is worry about the toe contact it's not the issue one might think. That's where some issues come from.

Bear in mind it is a kicking based art so of course the sport system is weighted towards kicks. It differs from point karate in a couple areas, one is contact, which can be heavy. Also, power generation and target areas are different.

Just for example, the back including kidneys is fair game. Because of this, there are certain strategic elements are fairly unique. A high percentage of the system is designed around the feint. So there are some really useful lessons to come out of its application.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a fun one to learn. Its one of those more obscure styles, and I always think its fun to delve into the history and techniques of these styles.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure, but does Savate have similar roots to western fencing in France? I don't know, I'm just asking.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the ideas and movements relate to that, because the fencing styles that were popular in France at the time would get used with Savate techniques. I don't think they have the same roots, but were just relevant at the same time and place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: