Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

CW
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: School Growth Reply with quote

I am just wondering how you got your school to grow. I have a small class of about 10 students. This number was up to about 20 - 25 before the doors of the place I was teaching out of was closed. It took me about 3 months to find a place to start teaching again. With that long of time with no place to workout I lost most of the students. I am now teaching out of my church. By the way the art that I teach is Ryukyu Kempo. I am a 4th degree black belt. It feels great teaching again, but I am having problems getting the class to grow. The city that I live in Jackson TN. is about 60,000 in size. I would like to hear how you got your school to grow.

Thanks,
Chuck[/img]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your trying to make money I like small classes. You can see everyone and work with them on a one on one basis. You have more room and everyone gets more reps in.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertise! Flyers, posters, demos, etc.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advertising is the correct way to go. You have to get your name out there and spend some bucks doing it. And as you go looking for new students you have to make sure that you are giving your current students the instruction they need because the best advertisement you will find is word of mouth.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your current student base? Kids or Adults, or a combo of both? Along the lines of "word of mouth" maybe offer your students some incentives to bring in more clientle. Like an extra class, or 30min private lesson, and so forth. Cheap for you, good for them, plus more students

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the book Guerilla Marketing. IT is a classic, and will help big time!

Ryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do/Okinawan Weaponry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how many types of Martial Arts styles there are for world Champions, and lets not forget how many years there have been World Champions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do/Okinawan Weaponry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, put my previous post in the wrong forum. AAAADUUUUUUH!

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try having a "buddy day" where all of your students are encouraged to bring a friend in for training, or offer incentives to your students for bringing in new people. your current students are a wonderful recruiting resource- don't be afraid to use them. give them flyers to pass out at their workplaces. there's lots of stuff you can do without spending tons of money. if you work with kids, try to make contacts at the schools in your area. there's a dojo in my neighborhood that's been very successful at building relationships with local elementary schools. they go in and do demos and talk to teachers and often get students referred to them that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to have a business that is open next to "high traffic areas". It may be hard because you lost your other place and are trying to find a permanent residence. Demos are good. When a movie came out, we did a demo in the movie theater while everyone was waiting in line to see (make sure it's a karate movie!) and had our little kids hand out flyers to those who were watching. Word of mouth is good, have your current students find people to bring and teach a free lesson. Family discount programs to those who currently attend. Post flyers at places like Colleges, where there is a lot of traffic.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: