Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd follow up on this thread...after being bothered about the whole situation for several days I just decided to make a break from the club. Basically I just stopped going to class and took a few months off from MA. I wasn't worried about the pre-paid classes.

I do hope things go well for the club and I still have the utmost respect for the instructors and masters...but I just didn't feel comfortable about the expectations on loyalty and I needed to go on my own path.

Started up at a local small Kyokushin school a few weeks ago and it's been great so far...to be a white belt again...

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Figured I'd follow up on this thread...after being bothered about the whole situation for several days I just decided to make a break from the club. Basically I just stopped going to class and took a few months off from MA. I wasn't worried about the pre-paid classes.

I do hope things go well for the club and I still have the utmost respect for the instructors and masters...but I just didn't feel comfortable about the expectations on loyalty and I needed to go on my own path.

Started up at a local small Kyokushin school a few weeks ago and it's been great so far...to be a white belt again...

it is always a good feeling to have that white belt around your waist once more. I found when i started doing BJJ (after i already attained my black belt in karate) and got my white belt it reminded me that everyone is still learning and to be humble in what i know and not to be cocky about being a black belt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
hammer wrote:

it is always a good feeling to have that white belt around your waist once more. I found when i started doing BJJ (after i already attained my black belt in karate) and got my white belt it reminded me that everyone is still learning and to be humble in what i know and not to be cocky about being a black belt
I agree. Its always fun to be a beginner again. No expectations as to what you should know, and having a clean slate. Enjoy your new beginning!

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:

Apparently there are potential liability insurance issues as well if I were to go and participate in any activities at another dojo and I were to get hurt. Never occurred to me because I know I take any risk of injury from MA, but I guess my head master has to have his legal bases covered.

It's been some time since this, but to add my two $... I seriously doubt that.

Think about it, would he care if it wasn't about another dojo, but a soccer club? What you are doing outside of his dojo is your business and any liabilities would be between you and the people you train with.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:
hammer wrote:

I agree. Its always fun to be a beginner again. No expectations as to what you should know, and having a clean slate. Enjoy your new beginning!

Exactly! It felt weird but an enjoyable weird.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big props to Hammer.
I think you've handled the situation remarkably well!

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hammer

Styles: TKD, new to Kyokushin

In 1994, Kyokushin splintered into lots of groups, 3 x IKO organizations the most notable.
Two other examples...
IFK came into being in 1992.
Seido, came into being in 1976.
(....there are others, lots of others!)

There is a thread in here somewhere in the forum where a TKD student presents a kata final with two guys competing on the same mat and doing the same kata. (I've never seen a TKD kata so was interested in what one looked like)
The differences between the two guys was a surprise, then as I read the thread it seems these guys are from different organizations!

Some of the splits (above as well as the many others) are as much to do ego and so on as they are politics.
I dislike politics in any sport, sadly it does creep into sport and it does try (I'm told) to do the right thing yet more often than not egos get involved and it goes to pot!

One master unhappy with another masters view of the future that sort of thing.

My first Kyokushin school was a splinter school (I later found out) from the BKK, it didn't bother me, I was ignorant of what and why, I was happy just to train, it was then as now all I want to do when I walk into a dojo.

I train with the a BKK school now, the difference I see between the two is noticeable but not as much as I thought it would be for the most part. I worked as hard then as I do now, kihon & kata are all the same as is the focus on fitness, the push form the instructors as well as the other students is as focused.
However, now I have access to a wealth of other fighters, instructors and dojos to learn from, and as a result my fighting has come on massively. (strength in numbers it would appear)
The splinter club had very very limited access to other knockdown clubs, we tended to work with WUKO (point fighters) and kata tournaments it didn't bother me, I was happy just to train.

Enjoy Kyokushin, it will be rewarding more than you realize!
Osu.

tamaro
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Crazy stuff Reply with quote

Crazy that still today this sort of thing happens.

Last year got another school's student at the Dojang. By coincidence, we had planned a group photo at the end of the training session.
Instead of telling me he didn't want to join in the photo, the student carefully hid himself behind another student. Still today, I laugh when I look at the photo. xD

Problem is, many instructors may consider you are searching elsewhere because you are not happy with something. And to tell the truth, when we seek additional instruction, it means something is not exactly as we wish it was. But that's normal.

Go train there if you got invited. If your teacher takes that as an insult, I guess is not worthy of being your instructor.

An exception is when the other instructor regularly says bad things about other instructors. In that case I wouldn't go there. Being with someone that is disrespectful with your or other teachers is never a good idea.

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com
(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy stuff Reply with quote

tamaro wrote:
An exception is when the other instructor regularly says bad things about other instructors. In that case I wouldn't go there. Being with someone that is disrespectful with your or other teachers is never a good idea.

Excellent point!

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the school I'm going to is part of an IKO organization. The school I left had no affiliations, the head master chose to stay out of any associations.

Associations don't matter to me, the quality of the training does.

Since I've left, I've heard that the head master has been telling other students not to contact people outside the club. Not sure if that's really true but if so it's not a good sign.

I'm just glad to be in a place where I can train and be challenged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: