Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: School Reply with quote

Alright, so I was leaving the high school from cross country practice this morning and one of the high school weight lifters comes outside and starts calling me names such as pansy and wuss because I do cross country. I didn't even look back because I didn't feel like arguing.
A moment later I notice this guy's following me so I just keep on walking. However, when I hear him say hes going to "**** me up" and he grabs my shoulder from behind, I turned around and punched him. He got knocked out from my one punch.
Now I guess that since I knocked him out, I'm the one whose going to be getting in trouble. I don't think that is right...at all.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, were there any witnesses? They can back up your story and verify it was self-defense.

Secondly, as an ex-school teacher myself, I'd go to the school office and talk to the principal BEFORE the other guy gets a chance to and tell your side of the story, including the names of any witnesses that might have seen and heard what happened. It's always better to get your side of the story told first in this sort of situation. Makes you look like the good guy.

The guy was verbally being aggressive in the first place and you did the right thing by walkiing away. When he physically touched you, you were within your rights to protect youyrself.

Did this happen on school grounds?

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Montana said. Expect both of you to get in trouble from the school, since the schools generally don't want to think about such things very hard. Some admins are worse than others on that point, and it varies from school to school, but usually the one who shows up in the office to tell the story gets the better end of the bargain in my experience.

JCavin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: School Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
Alright, so I was leaving the high school from cross country practice this morning and one of the high school weight lifters comes outside and starts calling me names such as pansy and wuss because I do cross country. I didn't even look back because I didn't feel like arguing.
A moment later I notice this guy's following me so I just keep on walking. However, when I hear him say hes going to "**** me up" and he grabs my shoulder from behind, I turned around and punched him. He got knocked out from my one punch.
Now I guess that since I knocked him out, I'm the one whose going to be getting in trouble. I don't think that is right...at all.

I would just like to say that regardless of what punishment you recieve for it, good job.

You attempted to walk away, he threatened you, then grabbed you. So you dealt with the threat. Respect.

Btw, this is just my personal opinion. I do have a no-nonsense approach to these types of things. Probably because I work in law enforcement.

Others may say you should avoid fighting and that you were wrong. For them I give you a quote from Gandhi: "I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... "

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only witnesses I know of were the "attacker's" friends. Either way I don't know if i will be able to clear things up as it's the kid and his group of friends' story against mine.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Others may say you should avoid fighting and that you were wrong. For them I give you a quote from Gandhi: "I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... "

I agree 100%. I'm not going to start a fight nor will I fight if I have the choice not to. That being said, I refuse to be one of those people who wont defend themselves for fear of the consequences.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one datguy. Regardless of the punishment you get, you ended that fight. Especially with a group of them you could have come off pretty bad if they'd all decided to jump in.

I'd also go get your story in there first. If the guy has reputation for being the "tough guy" then they'd probably take that into account anyway. Your school have cctv?

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he got his story in first, whatever his twisted version of it might be. Also, our school does have video cameras and I'm sure the camera must've picked it up so once (if) they check it, I'm sure they'll see what really happened.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most schools you would both be receiving punishment because, as JusticeZero said, they don't want to think about these things very hard. Hopefully it was caught on video, but if not then you definitely need to at least have your parents on your side. Good on you for defending yourself.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
The only witnesses I know of were the "attacker's" friends. Either way I don't know if i will be able to clear things up as it's the kid and his group of friends' story against mine.

Then I'd advise that you tell the principal this also. Again, it makes you look like the good guy.

Once again, did this happen on school grounds?

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: