Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortdog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend told me he studies scorpion kung fu. i think he is full of crap. has any one heard of this? i dont think it real. how many scorpions did they have in the shaolin tempols?

SHORTDOG

or email

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied Kung Fu styles (many of them) for a while now, and there are a lot, and certainly some I've never heard of. I suppose it's possible it's a real form of the style, but I've never heard of it -- not that that means anything.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw scorpion kung fu in a cheesy movie once. The 5 deadly venoms... I still think it's a load of *. Whatever, just challenge your friend to a friendly sparring match and see if he has anything to offer.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five Deadly Venoms.. boy, what a crappy movie that was... I sometimes rent some old B movies for a laugh, but that was just pathetic. It said it was a cult classic.. I have no idea why. Hey, I think I need to learn the, what was it? Toad style? Skin like Iron. Nifty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all do respects; sorry, but it is a cult classic in my eyes...i used to go the the chinese movie house and watch kung fu movies with japanese/american subtitles when i was a kid and that was one of the best.
i'm just old school i guess. a lot of people nowadays are hard on the new MA movies with the flying around and all. eg; romeo must die and crouching lion but those directing techniques have been around since the start, and promoted MA to what it is today.

BTW i collect some of those old kung fu movies and yes i get a laugh out of them too.

IMHO

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crouching Tiger, was a great movie, I thought. But, not because of the flying around, etc. I just thought it had a good story line and good cinematography. I just can't deal with movies with made up stuff, when that's all the movie is about. If it had a good plot and good filming, I don't care how fake it is. I just have to find some exciting, interesting or emotional element in a movie to like it. Good stunts help some, good comedy, good drama, good story line, whatever.

I like everything but musicals and old Westerns. However, I just was hoping for more of that ridiculous, fun, crazy fighting you usually see, not some thing about the "Toad style" that will make your skin like iron and make you invincible, and have that be your martial art/skill. Granted, it did have some of that ridiculous, crazy fighting in it. There's just some I can't deal with... then the voices start... then.. well, you don't want to know...

Anonymous2
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toad style may be made up, but it is based on a real technique called Iron shirt or Iron Vest.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion Kung-Fu is just a Shaolin set. I have seen it performed once...but very rare. I can honestly say I don't know anyone who teaches the hand set.

I'd be intrested to know who is teaching this style.

Many people have taken a hand set and based an entire style around it.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey what are you talking about, I love the " cheesy" movies. Like that ones Jet Le make in china. If you know the coulture, you would love it!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While these kung-fu movies are fun to watch.. you must remember that they are just movies. Iron Shirt and Iron Vest techniques are tricks done by "masters" to attract students, as are many of the supernatural tricks that supposed "masters" can do. Try to keep the lines of reality and fantasy in check.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: