Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Scotch Kiss Reply with quote

A Scotch Kiss is a head-butt.

Some forty-five years ago I discoverd the head-butt. I practiced using it on a frying pan hanging from a piece of string.

Being bullied in my younger pre-teens and fighting in the streets was just the way it was growing up.

As I was smaller than most of my piers, my forehead lined up perfectly with my opponents noses. Being close enough to head-butt was beneficial because it was difficult for my opponents to punch me. As their reach was further/longer/better than mine, I would get punched out regularly. The Scotch Kiss changed all that. No more getting punched out, in fact, I could end a fight very quickly. Giving my opponents an instant bloody nose and two black eyes later, it was the perfect self-defense weapon. No one ever retaliated later or ever wanted a re-match.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We call this a Glasgow kiss over here. It seems popular in UK gangster type movies, remember on in a UB40 music/short story film.
I'm assuming forehead to nose is the main target....any others? Maybe a reverse one to distract while getting out of a bearhug type deal?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the, the forehead connecting with another person's nose. Actually my dad was from Glasgow. I have seen him head-butt a very big man in the chest while he was being bear hugged. I was eleven at the time. Using the head works in many close range situation. Like a haircut, front, back and sides. They can be used if attacked from behind or even when ground fighting.

Head-butts can be utilized in many situations. They are highly underated, which is a good thing because all the more of a surprise for the recipient. It is possible to head-butt two people or even three people sequentially if you have the knack for it. The twist and butt technique that sets you up for another butt.

Multiple head-butts to the same person are possible but the second one will not work as good as the first because their head usally falls forward or backward. Then you are going head to head which defeats the purpose.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure headbutts work in some situations, but there is an element of danger to yourself in using your head to hit something. Better to use your fists if available to you.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree head-butting has it's dangers. Yes fists work also. Just pointing out that head-butting is an option generally overlooked by martial artists.

Probably would not use this technique if the person is smaller and more muscular than me. Reason being that the angle and height is not to my advantage and his neck being stronger than mine could also be a factor. I'm not hard up for techniques to use on the contrary, I'm spoilt for choice. As self defence is my specialty.

I try to avoid as much as possible not to fight people that are uglier or smaller than me. As this hasn't happened yet, still the bigger better looking types beware!

Head-butting is not for everyone. I don't palm strike the nose or head-butt to the temple. Both are far too dangerous, in my opinion. Killing or causing grievous bodily harm is not my intent in any situation. Ending or disarming and de-escalating a potential dangerous situation quickly is.

What I like about head-butts are that they end a situation very quickly in my favor. Leave a lasting impression. Difficult for the recipient to continue the confrontation. As I allow the other person to walk away without more injuries, there is a sense of relief on their part and a (hopefully) closure on mine. Keep in mind that I didn't start the incident; they did!

Some people carry a knife around to scare any potential attacker. Then end up using the knife because the situation escalates.
My head-butt advantage, because it is an advantage, allows me not to have the need to carry a concealed weapon. My weapon is already pointing at my adversary and they never see it coming till it's too late! You cannot stop what you cannot see.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Karate styles TEACH the head-butt, Shindokan teaches it, and as with anything, if it's executed properly, there's little to no danger to the practitioner. The nose, being the target, isn't bone, but it's cartilage, quite easy to break.

The head-butt gives the karateka one more tool to consider, and given the opportunity, I can guarantee that I'll use it with a fever of intent!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Most Karate styles TEACH the head-butt, Shindokan teaches it, and as with anything, if it's executed properly, there's little to no danger to the practitioner. The nose, being the target, isn't bone, but it's cartilage, quite easy to break.

The head-butt gives the karateka one more tool to consider, and given the opportunity, I can guarantee that I'll use it with a fever of intent!!

With all due respect Bob, there is still a risk when taking an impact with your head. Broken knuckles, arms, feet etc. are nothing and you'll survive them. But if something should go wrong with a headbutt the consequences are significantly worse.

Admittedly it was caused by a knee to the head, but if anyone saw Cyborg Santos' injury from Bellator at the weekend, shows how fragile your skull can be!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

With all due respect Bob, there is still a risk when taking an impact with your head. Broken knuckles, arms, feet etc. are nothing and you'll survive them. But if something should go wrong with a headbutt the consequences are significantly worse.

Admittedly it was caused by a knee to the head, but if anyone saw Cyborg Santos' injury from Bellator at the weekend, shows how fragile your skull can be!

Your right, Danielle; solid post!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaolin monks have their head banged in to a sand bag for hours at a time, to harden their skull. It is supposed to make the skull four times harder.

In London UK, people that specialize in delivering head-butts to others are called 'Nutter's' the same name given to crazy people. Nutters are usually good at heading a soccer ball.

In Africa, young males dive off high towers with their ankles tied to a rope and they bang their forhead on to the ground.

Emanon
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe headbutts are a great tool. I see there are those who warn of the dangers of injury and I can see that...I don't really disagree. However, like I said, it's a great "tool." I'm not saying (and I'm sure Mr. Armstrong isn't either) that is the go too choice for defense. But it is a great tool to have in your toolbox and in certain situations it is perfect and quicker/more unexpected than anything else. Pulling a face/head down into your knee strike is great too but have you ever gotten teeth stuck in your knee? That isn't fun either. I broke my foot on someones face in the street once. I'm sure you get what I'm saying
Stuff happens...we hope for the best. But at the time we have to tie our chances sometimes and a headbutt may save your life. When in danger of loosing it I can't stop and think that I might hurt my head!
Everything has its moments. Self defense has no guarantees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: