Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: SD advice Reply with quote

I've just started uni and obviously have had thousands of leaflets for all sorts of things given to me. I was looking through this personal safety one and there are some good tips in there that some of you guys might like:

- Carry a "dummy" wallet as well as your real wallet so that if you get mugged you can hand over a small purse with only a few coins in it.
- When using a payphone, turn outwards so you face the street and can look at everything and everyone.
- Don't carry a laptop around in a laptop bag, carry it in something like a normal rucksack so theives don't think you've got anything

Haven't read through the rest of the leaflets yet but I'll post more tips if I come across any good ones.

Anyone else got any other general safety/SD advice?

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SD advice Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Anyone else got any other general safety/SD advice?

If using an ATM, you want to make sure no one is too close to you, too close behind you. If someone is behind you, you don't keep facing forward and try to hurry up, hoping nothing will happen; you turn to look right at him and see his reaction. If you don't like what you see, break off the withdrawal and walk away with every appearance of confidence, not fear.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the ATM usage, make sure no one nearby has their cell phone out, like they may be texting or something. They may be attempting to take a pic of your pin.

It sounds like the pamphlet has some really good, basic advise in it.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few:

When you're taking mass transportation (train, bus, etc.) use the seats nearest the exit doors.

When walking down the street, walk in the center of the block, not too close to the curb or too close to the buildings.

Don't follow the same identical path to your home every night, change it up a bit.

Be aware of people who "bump" into you on trains and buses. Could be accidental, but it's also a ploy used by pickpockets.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of ATMs, one of the pieces of advice was to just cancel what you're doing if you think someone is watching you. Then go off for a bit and maybe come back if you still need the cash.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call there. That way, they can't try to get the cash from you then, either.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many obvious suggestions when it comes to self defense. I can offer two more.

Always be sure that you (and others) respect your personal space. Many attacks occur when someone gets too close and suckers the other. Space is your friend, and be sure that others know this- you can speak to me from 6 feet away instead of right in front of my face. Close enough to touch is close enough to hit- keep your hands up (albeit in a peacefull "stop" type of posture) in order to give yourself better reaction time.

The second is one that mostly applies to women- any weapon you choose to carry, be it a knife, pepper spray, or anything else, is useless if its not in your hands. Many women I know will carry a knife or gun in their purse, or pepper spray on their keychain. Keep the knife or gun in hand, finger on the trigger, and in your coatpocket, or the pepper spray in hand with your finger on the trigger.

JohnC
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware of time. Parking in the alley really close to the door of where you work may be fine in the morning when you get there but is probably bad if you leave after dark.

Be aware of what's around you. A gimmick being used currently is for the bad guys to park next to your driver side door in a panel van. You come up to open your door, they slide the van's side door open, pull you in, close the door and leave. Time involved 2 -5 seconds.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something that is really freaky to think about, John. I wouldn't have really considered something like that before.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one that sounds crazy but I believe it worked for me on one occasion.

If you're traveling alone somewhere (let's say on a train) and there is someone that looks suspicious to you, you can always start acting a little "weird" yourself - i.e. talking to yourself, making little hand gestures while staring at the floor. My thinking is that the other person will think you're a complete nut-case and leave you alone. (better than thinking you're a timid, cowering individual.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: