Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Seeing your style better... Reply with quote

In Harry Cook's Shotokan Karate, A Precise History, on pg 168, there is a quote from Hirokazu Kanazawa detailing how his training in Tai Chi helped his Karate:

Quote:
[Tai Chi Chuan] Has affected my Karate by being completely different. For example, and I am using extreme examples here, they are like having positive and negative. But you see, even in Karate there is a positive and a negative...and this is also true of Tai Chi. But they balance each other. They give me a different view of the same thing. I can see things clearer about Karate when I am doing Tai Chi. Before, I only had the Karate view of things, and so I could not see things by myself. I was training hard, and so did not have the time or space to see my Karate. But now, with Tai Chi, I can see my Karate better!

Kanazawa also goes on to elaborate that Tai Chi could help him do his Karate better as he got older, because of the way it teaches him to use his body.

Has anyone else had any relationships between styles like this? I have noticed a bit here and there in doing Aikido and Hapkido alongside TKD, especially with some of the movements in the forms of TKD, and some things I could adapt into one-steps training. I know there are quite a few of us here that cross train, and would be interested in hearing your responses.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited knowledge, I do know that Kyokushin has incorporated Yiquan standing poses into our training to help our balance, posture, breathing, and whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kJNjZrB2k

Since a lot of our goshin-jutsu also came from Daito Ryu Aikijutsu, I'm sure getting trained in that would also be a huge revelation as to why we do what we do.

Just from my background in Goju Ryu and from my short time of cross-training in Muay Thai, I managed to see parallels between some of the things there in our Kyokushin syllabus as well, which consequently made me understand things a bit more.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed that video, as much as I could interpret from it. It is interesting to see these things as they begin to intertwine in styles.

Thanks for sharing this, Kuma.

Anyone else have any experience with how one style helped them to "see" another style better?

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practiced some kung fu and ju jutsu for self defenc and now I do karate, and I can say that only thing that was beneficial for me where kicks and basic foot work that i learned from kung fu and dju su system.

jason ainley
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chang Hon/ ITF Style Taekwon-do

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crosstrained boxing when i was a 2nd degree in Taekwondo.

Definately helped increase my footwork , hand speed and punching power.

Now as a 4th degree black belt i still use boxing techniques and training methods in my own training.

Jason

StirringMotion
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: LHBF, Judo, Drunken Boxing

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with LHBF and couldn't really get down too many of the more "hidden" techniques of the style's application. By "hidden" I just mean the applications that aren't obvious. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an at home practitioner, not by choice. After many years I made a friend who is a black belt in Judo and was willing to teach me. Learning a grapple-focused style REALLY opened my eyes to the possibilities of various motions and movements in LHBF. And then we started doing boxing drills in our practices. Taking things from the basic boxing drills has really helped me to find a realistic way to use the bit of Drunken Boxing I know. I could go into a bit more detail, but you get the gist of it. I highly recommend, at the very least, dabbling in various styles. Specialized styles, specifically. It really helps any martial art to know what else is out there and how it is used/practiced. Oh, and Kyokushin Karate REALLY helped me with kicks. Which I was never really good at before.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StirringMotion wrote:
I started with LHBF and couldn't really get down too many of the more "hidden" techniques of the style's application. By "hidden" I just mean the applications that aren't obvious. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an at home practitioner, not by choice. After many years I made a friend who is a black belt in Judo and was willing to teach me. Learning a grapple-focused style REALLY opened my eyes to the possibilities of various motions and movements in LHBF. And then we started doing boxing drills in our practices. Taking things from the basic boxing drills has really helped me to find a realistic way to use the bit of Drunken Boxing I know. I could go into a bit more detail, but you get the gist of it. I highly recommend, at the very least, dabbling in various styles. Specialized styles, specifically. It really helps any martial art to know what else is out there and how it is used/practiced. Oh, and Kyokushin Karate REALLY helped me with kicks. Which I was never really good at before.

Drunken Boxing? Hello and welcome!

StirringMotion
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
Drunken Boxing? Hello and welcome!

Hello! Thank you. And yes, but I use the name very loosely. As there is no actual drunken system that I have noticed, I haven't studied one. Just the CLF branch and an old 'entertainment' form of Drunken Boxing.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, the 'real' one is similar to the CLF/stage one, just with the function masterkeys intact. And masterkeys can be rediscovered with work and experimentation.

StirringMotion
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
To my knowledge, the 'real' one is similar to the CLF/stage one, just with the function masterkeys intact. And masterkeys can be rediscovered with work and experimentation.

Is it? Coolio. I'll have to do more research on my part. Thanks. And I'm slowly figuring that out with LHBF. It's very fun, though. Rediscovering things due to having no master to teach me that particular art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: