Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing devils advocate...maybe...

Self-defense might just be enough! How so?? Depending on just what you do at that very moment. Self-Defense is comprised of what?? TECHNIQUE(S)...MA techniques that I've learned!! Whether they be singular or in combinations, that which is executed might be enough to reach my goal.

My opponent/attacker does this, I then do that, and in that moment, with such resolve, there's nothing else to do to my opponent/attacker!! And my escape, if that's my initial and purposeful goal, is achieved.

My escape ISN'T always my initial goal!! My initial goal is to prevent any, and/or further injury of myself. Depending on how I perceive my opponent/attackers intent to cause me serious injury.

In that case, self-defense IS enough by itself!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a moment, when I knew self defence wasn't going to work, the only way out was by staying calm and talking, to the would be attackers.

Escalating to being violent on my part, would have set in motion a situation, that would have been irreversible.

Being out numbered and being threatened for money with people holding knives, it is important to talk to them calmly.

Desperate people do desperate things, making them nervous only aggravates them and the situation.

By sympathizing with them without patronizing them and showing a little respect, chances are the anxieties and tension in the moment will dissipate without the need for violence.

If I was violent towards them they would have felt justifiable to be violent with me.

By talking and listening the situation turned in to a conversation instead of a confrontation.

Many people act out violently due to frustration, by understanding why, then having some empathy for them, might be the only method available that works, using diplomacy skills might save your life one day.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self defense is always enough if whatever one does is done with the sole purpose of getting away from immediate danger with as little harm as possible. This includes anything from wits to fists. In self defense discussions, it is too easy to overlook the fact that "self defense" begins with much, much more than physical techniques and usually starts before any kind of physical attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: