Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Have you move on from the idea of self defense?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Somewhat
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Adamo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Self-defense care free? Reply with quote

I started in the martial arts with the interest of being able to defend myself. Like most people, it started off with the idea that I would perform like Jet Li or Bruce with such flashy techniques. I'd be able to take out multiple people and look cool doing so.

Over time my perception changed (thankfully) and I've become much more intelligent about what self defense should be like. I've become much more critical of many martial arts. It's still my #1 goal over the more traditional or sport oriented martial arts. It probably will always be my main goal.

Here's my question...
Have you ever given up on the idea? From time to time, I realize that I do appreciate the occasional trapping and fancy use of nunchaku's. I sometimes wish I could be like others and just relax. Be able to practice an art that is beautifully executed and very historical like Wushu or Wing Chun. The idea often comes to mind that I could still pick up some useful stuff from these arts. I also often think that getting into a serious situation are pretty slim. I'm an alert person and am constantly aware of potential situations that can be harmful. It's virtually impossible to find any local schools that are self defense based (Krav Maga, Haganah, Kapap, etc).

*edit*
Sorry, poor English when I made the poll. It should say "Have you MOVED on from the idea of self-defense?"

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with art for the sake of art, but there is so much realistically applicable self defense that it could be entertaining to practice for a lifetime.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-defense was my primary reason for starting to learn the martial arts when I was a child. But, over the years, self-defense wasn't the primary reason for continuing in the martial arts. Nonetheless, self-defense is part of the martial arts, and whether while some of the SD techniques taught are a bit far fetched, imho, a lot of the SD techniques are solid across the board.

As an instructor of the martial arts, I've also moved away from some of those SD techniques taught to me by our Soke and our Dai-Soke because I didn't believe that all of those SD techniques were effective FOR EVERYONE, for one reason or another.

I still teach an abridged SD curriculum because I still see the viability as well as the purpose/reason of presenting SD to our students, and in that, if when the moment presents itself, and ONE of my students can only remember ONE SD technique that saved them from an attacker; then teaching SD has been all worth it, no matter the opinions of others as well as myself.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, making sure that I'm learning sefl defense skills, at least in some sort of cross over sense, still is my primary motivation.

Now, I agree that there is nothing wrong with moving away a bit from this. I've become much more intrigued with the art of things since becoming involved with BJJ.

However, I still go back to the goal of learning skills to defend myself at the core of it. Given my ocucpation, I've had opportunity to employ even the more "artsy" side of things while grappling for control.

Even training heavily in the art of it gives me cross over work in posture, position, hip movement, ect. that come into play in all situations.

So, at the end of the day, everyone should do an art for whatever reason they want. Even if they NEVER have an intrest in sd. I'd have never gone there 10 years ago, but I'm older and more mello about such things these days.

The arts are big. Plenty of room there for everyone's reasons.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-defense was, is, and always will be my reason for practicing Martial Arts. I do enjoy other aspects of them; physical challenge of learning techiques and what not, but I always think about self-defense.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that self defense never was and still isn't the main motivation for me doing martial arts. When I started I did hope that I'd gain some level of self defense as a byproduct of my training and now I do look at things and have in the back of my mind "that would/wouldn't work in self defense", but its still not the primary reason I train.

I just like training because of the art and the sport side of things. Its an art form and I kind of see it as similar to things like gymnastics in the respect that you are pushing your body to the limits and trying to achieve technical perfection. And I do like the sport aspect. I love the idea that you're playing a kinetic chess and you have to out-think and outsmart your opponent using all of your technical skill. I'm also still amazed by what people can push their bodies to do. When I first started it was jaw-dropping that a guy could send his fist through a house brick or jump over 7 people and break a board at the end or move so fast his opponent would be flat on his back before finishing counting to 5. Not all these things are practical in the self defense respect but I think its awesome you can make the human body do that and its stuff like this which makes me excited to train, not the fact that I'm learning some self defense.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Self-defense was, is, and always will be my reason for practicing Martial Arts. I do enjoy other aspects of them; physical challenge of learning techiques and what not, but I always think about self-defense.

My thoughts exactly! If not for self-defense, then you might as well take up break dancing, gymnastics or knitting in my opinion.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fact of the matter is that the world we live in is very safe. It's been safe for a very long time. "Self defense" just has never been all that important; I don't live in fear of pirate ninjas leaping out at me from the bushes.
On the other hand, there are entirely too many things where you can do whatever you want, it's your personal style and whatever people think is good goes... in battle, it's not about personal style, the rubber must hit the road. You can wander off into the depths of idiosyncrasy, but you must emerge with useful tools.

Adamo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses everybody!

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess when I initially took them up then yes I would say that I was probably self defence orientated. I would have the say that in the physical sense im mostly not training for self defence any more. I train because I like it. I actually think that most self defence actually occurs before physical confrontation and that most of your self defence is actually not getting involved in the first place, you don't really need an instructor for this, its just good sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: