Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Self Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6086
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.

You could argue that a lot of what we regard as Martial Arts contain superfluous material that isn't immediately practical or the quickest route to learning viable self defense. Karate, Taekwon-Do, Kung Fu and the like are a long term investment whereas if you trained in a self defense class specifically you might get your return (good self defense base) sooner.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Joined: 02 Oct 2006
Posts: 557
Location: UK
Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:
I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.

You could argue that a lot of what we regard as Martial Arts contain superfluous material that isn't immediately practical or the quickest route to learning viable self defense. Karate, Taekwon-Do, Kung Fu and the like are a long term investment whereas if you trained in a self defense class specifically you might get your return (good self defense base) sooner.


You also have the discussion of "martial art" vs "martial sport"... Self-defence vs competitions, etc...
_________________
Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18
Karate: 2nd Dan '04
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 1875
Location: Wales
Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stance is clear on this, if it's not practical; if it has no basis in a martial sense then it's not a martial art. Most martial arts based exercises and sports have some practical applications. Even no touch kick sparring can teach us something. But on the other hand if you define Martial Arts as practical application of technique for effective defense, then I'm sorry many so called Martial Arts would fall by the wayside.
_________________
Look to the far mountain and see all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.



Yes, I think you are right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

royaluser0022
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 08 Apr 2014
Posts: 3


PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krav maga self defense classes is the most effective way to lean street and situational self defense. techniques are simplified and taken from all martial arts forms in the world. its very easy to learn and train at your nearest centers like karatejaipur.in
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 22 Dec 2013
Posts: 911
Location: Sydney, Australia
Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royaluser0022 wrote:
krav maga self defense classes is the most effective way to lean street and situational self defense. techniques are simplified and taken from all martial arts forms in the world. its very easy to learn and train at your nearest centers like karatejaipur.in


Yes Krav Maga is in my future plan but now I am concentrating on Kyokushin
_________________
"The Martial Arts begin with a point and end in a circle."
Sosai Mas Oyama founder of Kyokushin Karate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Zimlock
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 26 Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Location: United Kingdom
Styles: Shotokan Karate, Aikikai Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safroot wrote:
Currently I am looking for something close to my place so I have Kyokushin karate, White crane Kung Fu, self defence courses and something called " Ryu Bujitsu Kai Karate " (the website it's saying: "It incorporates a mix of Karate, Ju jitsu, Kickboxing, Grappling , making it a complete martial arts and fighting system.").


I'm not sure about anyone else, but if the 'Ryu Bujitsu' course is friendly and reasonably priced and serious then that sounds excellent! It might give you an all round base for self defence. What you'll need to eventually do is work from that to more realistic situations, of course.

Kyokushin-ryu will certainly teach you how to take a punch!
_________________
Nidan - Shotokan Karate
Mukyu- Akikai Aikido
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27502
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, if you are in a Martial Arts class, you should be learning self-defense. Not everyone thinks this way, though, and its my opinion only. Hopefully what you spend time learning as a Martial Art has a side effect of lending to self-defense abilitiy.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Posts: 776
Location: Ohio, USA
Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
In my opinion, if you are in a Martial Arts class, you should be learning self-defense. Not everyone thinks this way, though, and its my opinion only. Hopefully what you spend time learning as a Martial Art has a side effect of lending to self-defense abilitiy.


Absolutely
_________________
Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Ricky Fox
White Belt
White Belt

Joined: 18 Nov 2014
Posts: 1


PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me martial arts is for self defense and a good exercise as well...
_________________
expandable batons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Self Defense All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >