Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Self Defense Classes Reply with quote

Hello Guys,
For self defense, is it better to train in self defense classes or train in a MA classes or both ?!

If MA which one is the best for self defense in your opinion ?!!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever one teaches you techniques that you can make work under pressure, and then pressure tests you. Some martial arts programs are best used for personal enjoyment and development, some are best used for fitness, and some are best used for self defense--it's up to you to decide which one you want, and evaluate your options.

The unfortunate problem with most "self defense" courses is that they are often not consistent--usually a class or two a week for a few weeks, and then you're done. You have to keep up with your practice for the rest of your life if you want to be able to use what you've learned for the rest of your life. That's a definite edge that traditional martial arts classes have over the ones specifically labelled "self defense."
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wastelander for your comment. so I think a mix of both will be the best !!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
The unfortunate problem with most "self defense" courses is that they are often not consistent--usually a class or two a week for a few weeks, and then you're done. You have to keep up with your practice for the rest of your life if you want to be able to use what you've learned for the rest of your life. That's a definite edge that traditional martial arts classes have over the ones specifically labelled "self defense."

This sentiment basically takes the cake for me. Definitely check out your options though. I've come across a few "self defense" courses that have stuck around for years. Also, every once in a while a traditional martial arts instructor will teach a "self defense" series of a couple of classes as a way to get more students and those are always great to attend so that you can get a rough idea of the school. I would start looking out for those classes being that it's new years resolution time and a few schools will be doing seminars to get interest from the people whose resolutions line up with martial arts.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zaine, i will try to find one

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Safroot,

What martial arts do you have available to you?

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,
Currently I am looking for something close to my place so I have Kyokushin karate, White crane Kung Fu, self defence courses and something called " Ryu Bujitsu Kai Karate " (the website it's saying: "It incorporates a mix of Karate, Ju jitsu, Kickboxing, Grappling , making it a complete martial arts and fighting system.").

I will start Kyokushin (closest to my place) by 20/01/14 with 3 free trial classes but I am open to try something else if it's more efficient in self defence.

Last edited by Safroot on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Excellent. That was help people to offer more specific thoughts for your needs.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so Patrick

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a traditional Karateka and I don't understand this question. Why would you train in MA if it is separate from any use in self defense? If the style is no good for self defense application, then in my view it is not a Martial Art at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: