Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a link or copy of the article?

Vito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: grappling, striking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the situation described, youd be better off not saying bring it on tough guy. especially if no one else is around. just go to work on the guy, and make damn sure he cant fight back when youre done. broken jaw, arm, sure, whatever. ill tell you this much, if so much as one punch is thrown at me ill leave the guy in need of medical care, because like thuggish said, that is the only sure way of making yourself safe. if some * is coming at you, how else can you defend yourself? what is this * about 'using just enough force as is necessary'? breaking an arm or somethign is quite often just enough to be necessary.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are legal ramifications.
I can tell two.

Vito
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: grappling, striking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when, and IF the police show up to question me, ill explain in such a way that ill be just fine. if someone swings on you, and you break their arm trying to defend yourself, at least in my state, you havent broken the law. any place where this isnt true has stupid law makers.

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any place where this isnt true has stupid law makers.

Exactly, and that's the problem.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vito wrote:
when, and IF the police show up to question me, ill explain in such a way that ill be just fine. if someone swings on you, and you break their arm trying to defend yourself, at least in my state, you havent broken the law. any place where this isnt true has stupid law makers.

Not true. You will be surprise how sympathetic the judge could get with the other guy.

Most judges, juries, and people in general, whom are not martial artists, tend to get apalled when they hear about a martial artists break or injure someone.

Though the law may vary State to State, the attitude of non-martial artists does not.

Ottman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do (Concepts), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Samurai combative arts (Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vito wrote:
ill tell you this much, if so much as one punch is thrown at me ill leave the guy in need of medical care, because like thuggish said, that is the only sure way of making yourself safe.

This makes you just as bad as the guy attacking you because if you DO do this, then you're out of control. I don't know about you, but I train to be able to control the situation, and if the law can prosecute me and throw me in jail because of something I've done (and believe me, if you hospitalize someone, they can, and probably will, especially because you're a martial artist) then the situation is no longer in my control, so I've failed in my training. If one punch is thrown at you and you have the proper training to control and neutralize that punch, then you have the ability to control and neutralize subsequent punches as well, and you have no reason to maul anyone. If you have this neutralizing ability and still feel that you need to severely hurt someone, then you've just given in to your fear and paranoia, and you clearly have no self control at all.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/Ottman

You cant go around with the attityude and purpose to maul someone or sent them for medical care. If you are in the US-as stated, the law can turn on you.

Then you will be paying for someone's medical expenses. And have this on record. And next time it happens, you will get in more legal trouble.

Use the right amount of force. If you get punched in the face-it was as much your FAULT for not properly blocking.

Also, it is as much as your FAULT for getting in that situation.

Zhong Gau
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fu Long Siu Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Tui Na.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta1: apportioning aside, if some turkey provokes a fight, strikes first and dies first his side is only heresay -correct?

Zhong Gau
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fu Long Siu Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Tui Na.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta1: apportioning aside, if some turkey provokes a fight, strikes first and dies first his side is only heresay -correct?

use of force can only be met by equal force. equal force can be a strike/attack that causes serious injury even death.

if a woman gets attacked for any reason she can cause serious permenant damage and basically walk away...

if a man is attacked and he uses crippling or lethal force he must prove that force was neccessary to defend his own life and/or he goes on near permenant vacation due to the severity of damage inflicted and likelihood of being capable of doing it again...

so the only way to guarantee that your use of lethal force is to demonstrate to the court that the bully unlawfully detained you (cornered you or impeded your progress away from the situation) and touched you first...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: