Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BladeLee
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: self defenses in a tourny Reply with quote

Ok i posted this in the General section as well, but perhaps i should have posted here first since this is the "sports" section
Alright, this is a rather odd topic but, it is getting me very nervous so i figured maybe i could get some insight here. Ok, i have a tournament this sunday and along with kumite, i have to do self-defense, not only for myself, but 6 other people. I have 5 days to learn their self-defense, and they are between 6-10 techniques each. To some this maybe easy, but i just have trouble remembering them all. I have been in this situation before, and had 2 weeks to remember them, and i went over them for 45 minutes 5 days a week, but I still messed up the day the tournament came. Only 2 of these self-defenses are in a black-belt division, but that really doesnt mean much i guess . Anyhow, maybe someone else has been in this situation and knows what do to or how to remember em. I'm getting to frustrated and tense about this, and i dont get like that about many things so =\. Anyhow thanks alot

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all who's self defense techniques are they? Also are the defenses done in succession, or one at a time? My suggestion is to take each technique and arrange them in a chain of events if you can. That may make it easier for you to remember. Maybe add names to each technique so that you can remember them. Hope this is of some help, and good luck!

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some advice.

Don't compete if you're not prepared.

Save yourself and your instructor the indignity of going out and looking like a boob.

Stand up for yourself. Tell you leadership. I am not prepared, I cannot get prepared in time, please send someone else out in my place. Don't set yourself up for failure and negative self-image, especially in a public place.

[Then again, you could need a good dose of backbone and your instructor has a real reason to send you out because he/she may feel you are prepared but have yet to admit that to yourself... You see, that's the problem with advice!]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: