Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatepastor
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Boxing, Karate, Jui Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Self training? Reply with quote

Journyman74 wrote:
To be quite honest, I am most likely not going to join or commit to a traditional BJJ gym in my life due to a variety of reasons. Does anyone here self train using videos, partners, mannequins etc? How satisfied are you? Im not ever planning to be a fighter or what not...just stritcly as a hobby

I’ve done a lot of martial arts over the years, most extensively in boxing and karate, though with a little aikido. Now I’m doing Brazilian jujitsu 4 to 5 days a week with my sons. I was a United States Marine. I’ve messed around quite a bit in different kinds of self-defense techniques and martial arts. I don’t think you can effectively learn a grappling art on your own. I just don’t think it’s really feasible. You can however do pretty decently with some instructional videos and some heavy bag equipment, perhaps an online training curriculum in karate or boxing. Better to have a partner to spar with and do drills with, but if I were going to go out alone with instructional videos and anything I would certainly be doing karate from durable martial arts online or something like that and then practicing in a very disciplined way. But grappling? I just don’t think it’s practical at all to learn on your own, regardless of how good the online or video curriculum is. You could get down some fundamentals but it just would seem to me to be a really ineffective plan. Whereas, you could probably do pretty well for yourself if you’re very disciplined and a good learner with striking arts independently. I still wouldn’t recommend it as your primary means. You’d want to at least get together with some like minded practitioners to pressure tested occasionally.
“A kata is not fixed or immoveable. Like water, it's ever changing and fits itself to the shape of the vessel containing it. However, kata are not some kind of beautiful competitive dance, but a grand martial art of self-defense - which determines life and death.”

Kenwa Mabuni

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I know this is an old thread.

I want to emphasize that time spent on the mat is vital.

However, I will add that practicing with a dummy or a willing partner is a terrific method to strengthen instinct.

According to Eddie Bravo, JJ has to get to a point where its almost like tying shoe strings
Even though tying a shoe is tough to describe to someone, you nonetheless do it out of instinct.

You cannot do it through self-training alone; you must experience the numerous scenarios that emerge when you interact with a partner.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Hmm.
If you are not able to commit to a traditional BJJ gym, have you considered a competitive Judo school?
Or an MMA school with a decent wrestling program?
There are a variety of options available.

However, if you insist that you must do this alone, here are some things you will need:
1. Training partners. You cannot learn to grapple without bodies, particularly resisting bodies.
2. Space. Preferably space covered in mats. You won't WANT to grapple for very long without these.
3. A decent curriculum to learn the fundamentals from. My recommendation for beginners is The Gracie Combatives program supplemented by a Grapplers Guide membership.
4. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes for you.

Solid post!!

Going on your own will limit you to the Nth degree, due to exactly what Tempest has posted, as well as the negative muscle memory, a memory that will be hard to break away from...not impossible, but quite near impossible depending on how long that negative muscle memory has been around.

Without a qualified instructor, how will you ever know what's right or what's wrong when you do it or don't do it...before it's way too late?!?!?

I would second and third all of this advice!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome back, Alex! Good to see you!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Hey, welcome back, Alex! Good to see you!

I echo what Brian said wholeheartedly!!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: